Smooth finish

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Smooth finish

Post by Linda Denli »

Hi there -

I need some advice on getting a smoother finish.

I have fired a tranparent base topped with white opaque and finished with coloured designs and although the finished piece looks OK on top, the base is very rough. I have just made a dinner plate and I wouldn't want to put it onto a polished surface.

I am using Spectrum 96. Original fuse is on one eighth of an inch thick fibre paper and after fusing although the bottom takes on the grain from the paper, it is relatively smooth. The problem seems to arise after slumping - into a commercially made dinner plate mold coated with kiln wash.

Is there anything I can do to make the finish smoother or will I need to look at polishing? - something I've never tried before.

Best wishes

Linda
Linda from London
Brock

Post by Brock »

Two quick things . . . fire on kiln wash, less texture to begin with, and sandblast before slumping for an even smoother finish. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Alternatively, try slumping at a lower temperature. You'll pick up much less texture from your mold. I slump System 96 at 1150°F (621°C on your side of the pond) and hold for 20 minutes. The temperature in your kiln may need to be slightly higher or slightly lower, but you get the idea...

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Linda-I'm puzzled that the bottom is very rough. What is the surface of the mold like? When you're done with the slump is the glass conforming to the mold completely. I don't know what could happen in a slump with a smooth mold that would have the glass go from smooth to rough, short of an overcook with the attendant bubble issues. What I'm wondering is if the bottom is not so much rough, but uneven.
Linda Denli

Post by Linda Denli »

I've slumped two different shapes - both in new, beautifully smooth molds which I coated with about six layers of kiln wash which I smoothed by hand before using. I slumped both at 1280 and allowed to soak for 30 minutes before bringing down to 950 and then annealing in the usual way.

I'll also try Tony's idea and slump at a lower temperature next time and although I don't have my own sandblaster (yet) I think I can use the one at my local glass suppliers so will give that idea a try toas well
Thanks everybody for all the help
Best wishes

Linda
Linda from London
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Brock wrote:Two quick things . . . fire on kiln wash, less texture to begin with, and sandblast before slumping for an even smoother finish. Brock
I agree with Brock. I think the rough texture comes from the initial firing on fiber paper, not the slump firing. I get a smoother finish with a nicely kilnwashed shelf or thinfire paper.

Steve
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Brock wrote:Two quick things . . . fire on kiln wash, less texture to begin with, and sandblast before slumping for an even smoother finish. Brock
Hi
I´m happy to be back after a long time distant from my kilns.
It seems that I´ve forgotten everything :oops:
When you say sandblast how do I now it´s using sandpaper or that fantastic sanblasting machine :?:
Good to see you
Luiza
Brock

Post by Brock »

Sandblasting is the fantastic machine, sanding is the paper. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Brock wrote:Sandblasting is the fantastic machine, sanding is the paper. Brock
Thanks Brock
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

You shouldn't be picking up much texture at slumping temperatures. I've found that fiber paper doesn't leave a very nice finish on System 96.