Help Please

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

brookman

Help Please

Post by brookman »

Does anyone know of a source in Arizona (Phoenix Metro area) for a type K thermocouple?

My wife accidentally broke ours this morning and needs to fuse some stuff for tomorrows show.

Thanks!
Tom White

Re: Help Please

Post by Tom White »

I would look in the yellow pages for your town under thermocouples to see if a local dealer has a suitable one in stock. For emergencies the lead wire between the thermocouple and the controller is the same thermocouple wire as the welded bead on the end of the thermocouple. I have been known to cut the lead wires behind the thermocouple, strip an inch of insulation from the new ends and twist them tightly together to produce a makeship thermocouple that will last for a firing or two until a replacement can be had. For that reason I never throw away thermocouple lead wires when I replace one. This has been my experience, use these ideas at your own risk. I always check the makeship thermocouple by warming it and observing to see if it is sensing the temperature change before firing with it.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I guarantee you there are type K thermocouples for sale in your town. Look them up on the internet and you will find several Mfrs or importers. Call them. they will direct you to a local distributor. We break things on equipment all the time in my company and have almost always found them locally. In addition, You probably have a Grainger outlet nearby. They carry about everything.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I live in Sun City West (NW valley) and have a spare that you can borrow. If you want to drive over and get it call me at 623-975-6331.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg