How can we make dichroic nametags?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JulieR

Re: How can we make dichroic nametags?

Post by JulieR »

For letters, just get some standard sticker letters (available at any Michaels, AC Moore, scrapbooking store, or possibly even office supply). Put letters onto dichro, apply etch creme. You will want to make your design so dichro will be up, so as to not reverse your letters.

I know I've also seen some pawprint stickers available out and about. I'm not sure if they are cut though to shapes only. You could just use sticker paper and an Xacto knife to cut your own (although probably alot of work if you are doing lots of them).
Julie
Rekindled Spirit Studios
http://www.rekindledspirit.com
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

If you're into casual with the nametags, get a marker and write them on the bottom glass, cap it with clear and fire. I've had good luck using the Brite-Mark Valve Action Paint Marker (Bullseye sells it--it's the white stuff they mark their glass with). I'll cut a thin sheet of silver or gold irid on black, round over the edges (so nobody gets cut) and then have everyone sign it, as in this farewell present for one of my employees (below). I usually ask them to write it once (you'll need to supply a practice sheet of glass because it takes a little practice to get the paint to flow well), let it dry for about 5 minutes, and then carefully go over it again. Or I'll go over it again--you really need two coats for it to be strong under the glass. Then I incorporate it into the piece, cap it with clear, and fire in a low-to-normal flat fuse.
Signed dish with Brite-Mark
Signed dish with Brite-Mark
On white or light colors, I've done the same thing with a Pilot Gold Marker. It turns dark brown. I've also bought a Krylon 18Kt gold pen that I'm told will stay gold, but I haven't tried it yet so can't say for sure.

Thanks--

--cynthia
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

try Bic white-out pens. Titanium white? pigment stays and fuses in.
Renee Farr

Post by Renee Farr »

I recently went to a glass show and Mike from Jenn Ken was demonstrating some pendants he made in their new microwave kiln. He drew the design on the glass with a sharpy marker, etched the glass with etching cream, cleaned off the etching cream and then cleaned the sharpy marker off. The etch cream didn't penetrate where the sharpy marker was. I would test first on a small piece to make sure the writing is legible. Of course, this would make the design (in this case the paw print and writing) dichro and all the rest of the area would be black.
robin g

Post by robin g »

Glassline paints work well for this kind of application also and come in all kinds of colors and with the small tip writing is easy.
MarciaM

Post by MarciaM »

I make paw print pendants using a paw print paper punch and the dicro paper. Pain in the neck because the paw is 5 seperate pieces of punch out and you have to place each one just so. The best results are when it is not capped with clear.

As far as the names on the glass, could they write them on with a sharpie, or (just came to mind) you write them on with the gold pen and fire. The gold pens come out really nice if you get them to the right temp. Just follow the directions that came with the pen.
jmtglass

Post by jmtglass »

Thank you for all the suggestions! This forum is really fantastic!

Just wanted to let you know that since I had some stickers, I did try them and it did work! Thank you Julie! I even reversed it by putting the stickers on, using a sharpie marker to paint out the background, peeled the stickers off and then acid-etched the lettering. It actually came out great! That way I had the dichroic background with black letters instead of a black background with dichroic lettering. Now I just have to find some stickers with a font that I like. I am also going to try the painting and gold pen techniques.

Kevin, where do you get decal paper?

Morganica ... what a keepsake! That is such a cool idea!

I am going to try a few of the other suggestions, just to see what happens.

Thanks again everyone!

Marsha
MarciaM

Post by MarciaM »

for the decal "paper" you can use any Contact paper, like they used to line drawers with. Clear is the easiest to work with, the idea is that you should be able to cut or paper punch it and it should stick during the etching process. It's a fun technique, have fun with it.