Kiln coil problems?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kevin Kapler

Kiln coil problems?

Post by Kevin Kapler »

Hi,
I have an evenheat kiln that I purchased about 4 years ago and have used a fair amount. It is the one that is more rectangular in shape. Over the past 6 months, the coils in the lid were beginning to slip out, which I understand is normal. I scrounged a few pins to keep them in, which worked for awhile, but found over time more and more of the coil was slipping out in places, and I would push it back in between firings. Generally, I got away with this. However, recently I began to have problems on the middle shelf. Began getting some small depressions on some of the pieces I was fusing, and more recently, larger depressions which I believe are a result of bubbles. My guess is that the parts of the coils that are slipping out are getting too close to the glass and causing this problem. I use primo primer and a bubble squeeze program (60 degrees for an hour at 1100, then increase by 60 to 1350, etc.), so I don't think that is the problem, plus I am not experiencing any similar problems on the side shelves. Yesterday, I left the lid open and turned it on to see if I could notice anything. The inner coil on the lid quickly glowed red, but the outer cable on the lid did not appear to be getting as hot (it was red, but more of a fainter, darker red). All of this suggests that I need to change the coils on the lid. Does this make sense? I don't think it is the thermocoupler, but I could be wrong. If it is the coils, I have the manual suggesting how to replace them. Any ideas where to go to purchase them? Miserable time for this to happen, right before Christmas!
thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Nancy Juhasz

Re: Kiln coil problems?

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Kevin check your private messages.