kiln wash on kiln floor?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michelle Fokos

kiln wash on kiln floor?

Post by Michelle Fokos »

hi,

thanks to input from Brock, Avery and Barb awhile back i have finally chosen to get a skutt clamshell, and have an electician coming tomorrow to put in my 240 outlet for it!!

i've heard from many folks that it is a good idea to paint the floor of the kiln with kiln wash, but spoke with Neil at Skutt the other day and he disagrees. he feels that coating the floor with kiln wash changes the thermodynamics of the kiln in a negative way. wondering what any of you think about this...

thanks so much,
michelle
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Whats the lining for the clamshell?
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I'm no expert in thermodynamics but I can't imagine how a couple of thin coats of kiln wash could have any affect whatsoever on heat distribution in a kiln. What it does do is make any accidents or pieces that roll off the shelf an easy clean up instead of a permanent part of the kiln. I can't count the number of times I've had some doodah slip out of my tweezers and roll off the shelf and under. If I had to take the whole shelf out to get it--well it would be a huge pain. I would think a large buildup of stuck glass would be more likely to change thermodynamics!
Amy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: kiln wash on kiln floor?

Post by Brad Walker »

michelle f wrote:i've heard from many folks that it is a good idea to paint the floor of the kiln with kiln wash, but spoke with Neil at Skutt the other day and he disagrees. he feels that coating the floor with kiln wash changes the thermodynamics of the kiln in a negative way. wondering what any of you think about this...
One of those "many folks" you may have heard of regarding kiln washing the floor of the kiln is Skutt. The operating manual for their glass kilns recommends that after you kiln wash the shelves "you may also want to coat the floor of the kiln." This is from page 7 of the manual: http://www.skutt.com/glass/resources/op_man.php

The do strongly (bold print!) tell you to never kiln wash the walls or the lid of the kiln. I wonder if that's what Neil was referring to.

As for me, I think kiln washing the floor makes good sense. You don't have to do it often, but if powder or frit ever spills on the floor (and it will!) you'll be grateful.
Mira

Post by Mira »

My kiln floor is washed - my glass melts just fine.
:D
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I sift plaster on the floor (with a liberated flour sieve) and vaccuum it out with a mini car-vac every couple of firings and then sift some more.

Plaster is cheaper than kiln wash, that's all.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Do you worry that little motes of plaster dust will float around and get into the glass? I put kiln wash, maybe four thin layers, on the floor of my kiln two years ago and have never recoated and it works just fine still. No need to vacuum up anything or redo anything. Its BE kilnwash--works great and almost no expense whatsoever.
Amy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Paul Stevenson wrote:I sift plaster on the floor (with a liberated flour sieve) and vaccuum it out with a mini car-vac every couple of firings and then sift some more.

Plaster is cheaper than kiln wash, that's all.
Not really. I kiln wash the floor, then forget it. No need to ever re-apply unless you have a disaster.
charlie

Post by charlie »

if you use wash, you only have to do it once until you have a major spill. i haven't redone mine since i got it, almost 2 years ago.
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

You all have me thinking. My kiln is a used ceramic kiln. It looks like it had been previously washed, but should I add to it? You don't have to remove the old do you? If so how? Is there a difference between ceramic & glass kiln wash (in regards to the bottom of the kiln only)?
Thanks - Steph
Stephie
charlie

Post by charlie »

can you see the kiln floor through holes in the wash? it never hurts to recoat, but it may not be necessary. a couple of minutes and a few cents of wash won't break you.

no you don't remove old wash, and there no practical difference in washes except glass wash is usually ground more finely.
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Thanks Charlie. There are crack between the brick, cheep insurance.
Stephie
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

michelle f wrote:...i've heard from many folks that it is a good idea to paint the floor of the kiln with kiln wash, but spoke with Neil at Skutt the other day and he disagrees. he feels that coating the floor with kiln wash changes the thermodynamics of the kiln in a negative way. wondering what any of you think about this...

thanks so much,
michelle
What is the floor of this kiln made of, fire brick, fiber board? Glass can erode through brick or RCF materials over time. I would wash it regardless to protect the floor of the kiln. It's possible it might change the thermodynamics somewhat, but the kiln isn't so big that it would be significant (this kiln has a 20" shelf right?), but that's just a hunch on my part.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

'Tis better to have washed and lost than never to have washed at all.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Judi Charlson

KIln wash on bottom

Post by Judi Charlson »

I kiln washed the bottom of my new kin leaving an inch boarder from sides. I was told a long time ago that Kiln wash should never come in contact with elements
In my old ceramic Skutt kin I always placed a layer of course grog on the bottom. any spills collected on that. I always used grog under ceramic sculptures when firing on shelves to let the sculpture move around a bit to prevent cracks or to level it. I also use grog under plaster molds to level and also think it alows for it to move slightly without friction. It also protects any frit from falling on shelf if I fill the mold after it is in kiln.I really don't know where I got that idea or if it really helps.
Judi
dee

Post by dee »

michelle f wrote:hi,

thanks to input from Brock, Avery and Barb awhile back i have finally chosen to get a skutt clamshell, and have an electician coming tomorrow to put in my 240 outlet for it!!

i've heard from many folks that it is a good idea to paint the floor of the kiln with kiln wash, but spoke with Neil at Skutt the other day and he disagrees. he feels that coating the floor with kiln wash changes the thermodynamics of the kiln in a negative way. wondering what any of you think about this...

thanks so much,
michelle
having just opened the kiln to see the results of this morning's firing, i have the perfect example of why one applies kiln wash to the floor of the kiln ;P the base piece of glass did something unexpected and some of it is down the side of the shelf and puddled on the floor ;P ah well, some of it will become cabs ;P some will go in the recycle bin ;P apparently the kiln goddess felt like playing in my kiln today ;P

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
slats

kiln wash on floor

Post by slats »

I kiled washed the floor when my kiln was new. Recently I raked and glass spilled onto floor....When I removed the warm cabs from the floor the next day some of the brick floor came off with the cabs leaving indentations in the brick.....So upsetting....Should I reapply washto those areas?
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

hell yes.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Jerry

Washing the floor

Post by Jerry »

Some time back I did a 14" round combed piece which I didn't keep an eye on, and it grew to OVER 20". I say "over" because that's the size of my shelf and it was off the shelf on three sides. I recoated the floor with new wash after that and never looked back, but I do pay a little more attention.

Jerry
Michelle Fokos

Post by Michelle Fokos »

thanks for all the replies!

the floor of the clamshell is fire brick, and i am going to coat it with kiln wash. the person i spoke with at skutt was aware that the manual recommended this process, but he was in disagreement with it. but it sounds like a very tried and true method to me.

the electrician is here right now putting in my new outlet!! yippee!!

thanks again,
michelle