Effect on glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Israel

Effect on glass

Post by Israel »

I need some help in knowing how to get the effect on the glass from this WEB page http://www.alchemy-glass.com , they build glass sinks and they use frit encased between 2 layers of glass.

Thanks for your help
Israel Zonzinski
gmusical@racsa.co.cr
From Costa Rica
Steve Immerman

Oxides

Post by Steve Immerman »

This was discussed a while ago in this thread:

http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=71010

Steve
lohman

Post by lohman »

Read that discussion now before posting this reply, and I see something that might be incorrect in the discussion: I don't think Alchemy Glass sinks are 2 inches thick.
Last fall I was commissioned to build a sink and my research lead me to the Alchemy Glass web site and to a showroom in Bethesda, MD where Alchemy shows its sinks. Of the dozen or so pieces on display all were in the 3/4 inch to 1 inch range. I also saw that in addition the the oxides and minerals fused between layers of glass, there were intricate copper inclusions of leaf and (I think) fossil forms. The copper was acid-etched to create an effect of a partially decomposed leaf. Really beautiful stuff.
Check out my finished sink bowl in the photos board, the posting by "lohman". I have a few pics documenting the firing if anyone is interested.
Last edited by lohman on Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Hi Israel
Couldn´t find the sink among the pictures on the site.
Luiza
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Luiza,

Try alchemyglass.com without the hyphen.

Monochrome sinks are 3/4" thick.
The fused sinks are 1" thick. (2 pcs of 1/2" float fused).