Glass Dinnerware -- dishwasher safe?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alecia Helton

Glass Dinnerware -- dishwasher safe?

Post by Alecia Helton »

A former glass instructor told me that glass dinnerware could not withstand the rapid temperature changes of a dishwasher. But I have seen dishwasher safe glass dinnerware. So what's the story? And, is there anything special I'd have to do to make the plates dishwasher safe?

Thanks,
Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

My kids made a couple of dinner plates for themselves, and ate on them contuously for about two years, going through the dishwasher each time, without cracking.

They did show some wear and tear as the years went by (as will ceramic plates). Just make sure you anneal them well.

Steve
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Alecia..........two things that will increase your glassware longevity chances with the dishwasher:

Design the glass pieces so there's no pointed tip cuts laying on the surface of the glasswork or protruding points - solid fuse to a uniform rounded edge thickness if possible. Pointed glass tips (due to the differences in stress build-up along the wide to narrow length of the glass piece) are touchy and can thermal shock, especially in the DW environment.

......and proper annealing is the real name of the game here.

I have BE fused glass dinner plates that I made 16 years ago that have survived two children, a husband who accidently breaks every piece of handmade pottery that I've ever purchased (forget about having a real artsy coffee mug collection - LOL!). These glass dishes go into our dishwasher after every use.

All of this said - I still tell my buyers to handwash the glass! It's just a good insurance policy.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I do same as Gale. Advise to hand wash, but I put set we have at home through the dw all the time, and they do fine. Some have thickness variations of 1/8 to 1/4", where it goes from one layer to 2, and these do OK too. The real breakage hazard for them is my too casual handling.
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

My plates are going on three years of constant use and dishwasher abuse. I've chipped a corner or two, mostly square plates.

I wonder if the dish washer set's it's own "hot" water temperature, or if it just takes directly from what every one has their hot water set at? I keep my hot water heater on it's lowest setting to conserve energy. (LOL, I say that with two kilns in my home...)
Deborah
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Dishwashers have a heating element in them to boost hot water temp well above what most home water heaters are set at.
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Most dishwashers have an element in the bottom to bring water temp up to 140 degrees. If your source is hotter than that, the element won't turn on. :) :lol: 8)