Two quick questions about Mason Stains

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jcbsews

Two quick questions about Mason Stains

Post by jcbsews »

Hello!

I'm about to place an order for mason stains, to try out glass painting with it, and I have two quick questions -

Which Mason Black and White is the truest black and white? There appears to be several color options for black and white, and rather than buy a sample of every one I was hoping someone could tell me which ones are successfully fired on glass...

And also, while I plan to get the ferro frit and use this stuff on window float, COULD I mix the mason stain with COE 90 or 96 powder frit, and use it on art glass? I haven't seen anyone mention doing it (and I searched too but found nothing), but it seems like it ought to work - or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help and advice!

JeAnna
Keoni

Re: Two quick questions about Mason Stains

Post by Keoni »

How mason stain works on float depends on a number of factors such as the high temp of your schedule, the medium you are using to apply the stain and the amount of stain you use.

In my experience, using a mix of 50% stain to clearfire by weight, that the darker shades of black come out very much the same. I have not tried white. Apply heavily, mason stain burns off at higher [1600F +] temps. You really are going to have to experiment to find the best black or white or other color for you.

Best,

Keoni
Studiodunn

Re: Two quick questions about Mason Stains

Post by Studiodunn »

Has anyone had experience using Alpine Rose colored mason stains? I found this website as I am exploring if there is any small chance I can experiment with ceramic glazes to get the color I am looking for... http://www.theceramicshop.com/store/dep ... on-Stains/
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King