Kiln stuff

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Leah Barr

Kiln stuff

Post by Leah Barr »

Kiln stuff

I am a newbie trying to figure out what kind of kiln to buy. I plan to do mostly jewelry fusing, but may do some slumping projects as well. I have a million questions, but the main ones are:

1. Top or front loading - pros and cons of each
2. How big? I am torn between a little QuickFire that can do jewelry fast, and something bigger but more versatile.
3. How important is it where the elements are located?

Thanks for all your help, there are too many choices out there.
Leah
Anna

Post by Anna »

Hi, Leah!
I make fused pieces for jewelry and I have a small kiln 25x50 cm inside
with the elements on the lid (top loading). I put in it material for 4-5
bracelets (for example) in time; just at the bottom with the fiber paper.
It will be more suitable for you to work in the square shaped kiln - you
can make small plates or something like this.
Good luck! Anna.
Tony Serviente

Re: Kiln stuff

Post by Tony Serviente »

Here are my musings Leah-
Top loading:Pro-Aerial view of work for fine tuning of placement. Can load complex projects that require much adjustment while assembling. Easy access for combing or other hot kiln manipulations.
Con-Can cause you to know a local chiropractor on a first name basis. Hard to load for stacked shelf firings. If it is deep, hard to load period.
Front loading: Pro-Easier to load if only using one shelf. Can stack shelves up with furniture and utilize the cubic footage of the kiln, not just the square footage. Con-Can get to know above mentioned chiropractor even better by virtue of man handling shelves in and out, kiln washing them, etc.
Size:Figure out how big a kiln you need for the work you want to do, then get one twice that size. Limitations to this are electric service you have available or can afford to have put in. Tiny kilns plug into a standard outlet and can sit on a workbench. Bigger kilns need their own outlet and their own safe space.
Side elements:Pro-Good for utilizing cubic footage of kiln when fusing. Can do multi shelf stacks. Con-Not as good for large projects that require uniform heating, or for slumping multiples simultaneously.
Top elements: Pro-Uniform heating lets you do large projects that are sensitive to thermal shock, as well as anneal uniformly. If doing multiple fusings or slumps, results will be relatively consistant across footprint of kiln floor(aside from cool spots).

Bear in mind, this is all simplified, and there are exceptions to quite a few of the above statements. It is a subject that bears some study beyond this post. Read Brads book, as well as Lundstroms book 1 and search the archives. Good luck!
artisand

Post by artisand »

Leah,

I purchased a Fusebox II kiln from Frantz Art Glass for lampworking and am also fusing small jewelry and slumping small bowls, etc. It has a top element, two doors in the front for easy loading of beads to anneal - and - the whole top lifts on hinges so that the entire floor of the kiln is open and exposed. Very easy to load and to peek in the doors. Hope this is a clear explanation. I am new at this also and purchased my kiln last spring. So far I have been very happy with it. Hope this helps.

Sharon
Leah Barr

Thanks!

Post by Leah Barr »

Hey, thanks everyone for your replies! There is so much to consider. I am also concerned about how long a larger kiln (like a Paragon Fusion 6 or even a Skutt GM814 -- it's 17" across and 13" deep) will take to fire up and cool down when I want to do a batch of jewelry. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Leah