Paradise paint & saving etch

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

Paradise paint & saving etch

Post by Lauralei »

Help! Does anyone have any sugestions about whether or not it's possible to fire a red (dry) silk screened paradise paint on a already (oops) etched plate without losing the etch? if so what is the lowest temp I can fire the red at without losing the etch - learning can be so painful....
thanks in advance for your help.
Laura
Lauralei
Bert Weiss

Re: Paradise paint & saving etch

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lauralei wrote:Help! Does anyone have any sugestions about whether or not it's possible to fire a red (dry) silk screened paradise paint on a already (oops) etched plate without losing the etch? if so what is the lowest temp I can fire the red at without losing the etch - learning can be so painful....
thanks in advance for your help.
Laura
You don't say what kind of glass or what kind of etch. Regardless, you can probably get away with silkscreening a lowfire enamel that is designed to mature around 1050ºF. These are the colors that are used on decorative glassware. If you are old enough to remember, the Ronald McDonald glasses of yesteryear.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauralei

glass type

Post by Lauralei »

Sorry Bert, You're right - must be the panic.. IT's BE glass and sandblasted details (light etch)..Thanks for the temp. insight..and I do remember all of the McDonald and sadly - the jetsons colored glasswear. The literature for Paradise Paint says they mature at a highter temp but will stick to glass but be matte instead of glossy at 1150... I just don't know where I'll lose the sandblasted details and have to cut them all over again, groan.
Lauralei
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paradise paints definetly do not gloss over until they reach temps in the 1400's. Below that, they are a real matte finish.

If you have carved details in your glass, you should be able to go to 1250 or so before you start losing the detail. If you have a simple etched surface, you'll start getting a shine on your etch over closer to 1150, but you'll still retain the edge of your blasted area.

What have you got to lose other than reblasting and another firing?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lauralei

you're right

Post by Lauralei »

You're right Tony... I thought I try to salvage it .. because it was a lot of cutting details.. but I'll see what is looks like in the am.. thanks for your feedback.
Lauralei
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

hey, what's wrong with remembering the Jetsons. I still waiting for rosie the maid to come into my life.
anyone remember Diver Dan and what was the barracuda's name!!
Jeri,dated once again
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Jeri Dantzig wrote:hey, what's wrong with remembering the Jetsons. I still waiting for rosie the maid to come into my life.
anyone remember Diver Dan and what was the barracuda's name!!
Jeri,dated once again
I'm pleased to announce that I am old enough to have had... but my sister has 'em now... Huckleberry Hound screened onto jelly (grape probably) jars in juice glass sizes.

Jetson's would be good too, but alas, I don't remember Diver Dan or the barracuda.
Lauralei

Diver dan's nemesis...

Post by Lauralei »

http://www.planetxmagazine.com/diverdan.html

Diver Dan's nemesis - the Baron Barracuda and his "hench fish" Triggerfish... Ha!
Lauralei
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

lauralei,
I am impressed :lol: at your vast knowledge of the cartoon marionette world. I just love saying Baron Barracuda. always want to name something that. Aha, a new glass direction!

your admirer,Jeri