crl 64 sander/ what belts for starting up

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeri D

crl 64 sander/ what belts for starting up

Post by Jeri D »

Hi everyone and thanks for your help before.
I am thinking of getting the smaller sander then the 106 because of floor space and this way I can mount it on same table with me saw.
The price they quote is 1240. Good/bad. Please don't even recommend I build or refurbish one myself. My days are too short as it is!!
What belts are necessary to have, in your opinions and any I should get more of to start.
I will not use it all the time , but edging tableware and i am just starting to work thick with scraps and frit and need to shape material. I also have to get the fiberpaper off pieces where it has stuck to sides. i used it for a "form" for my circular pieces.

Anxious to grind something besides my ax
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jeri

The 64 is a good choice. I would get 80 120 220 400 and cork belts. The 80 is only for removing a lot of material. 220 is probably the most versatile grit. Going all the way through cork will get you one step from a bright final polish. To finish out, you need a felt wheel and cerium oxide, or fire polish from 220 or 400 depending on the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hey Jeri,

I agree with Bert with the one addendum that the 80 grit will wear out most rapidly, so get extras.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Just curious Tony, have you ever tried one of the felt polishing belts for the wbs? I see them for sale at HISGLASSWORKS but haven't sprung for one yet.

Seems to me you would have to cut the water spray off and just paint the belt with cerium.

Not sure if this would be a good substitute for a felt wheel or not.

Ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I've never tried them Ron, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to invest the extra time to get the finer polish. I'm satisfied with the finish I get with the wet cork belt for now, and I know I don't need all that cerium dust in my lungs and all over my shop... maybe one of these days when I'm bored... :roll:

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

AS usual, I can count on you guys for a good response! Question Bert,
do you mean sometimes not to bother with cork and firepolish after using 400 belt.
And Tony, I agree with you, i don't need the felt polish with what I do either
Jeri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jeri,

The 400 grit belt does a really nice job on the edges, and slumping shines it up a bit more. I slump at 1150°, so I don't get as much shine from the slump as someone who slumps at 1225° or higher, but, as I said before, it's adequate for what I'm doing. When I want more shine, I use the wet cork belt.

Tony
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

As near as I can make out, you all are talking about wet belt sanders right? :oops:
The prices on this site look pretty good for these, I've been oogling the WBS's for a while, but don't know if these are strictly beginner stuff, and like a kiln I'll want bigger and better before I know it.
I have bought a few things from them before like diamond drill bits and they are good.
So could one of you bonafide tool junkies check this out and see what you think? Maybe to put on my list for Santa Baby? :wink:

http://www.kingsleynorth.com/beltsanders.html
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Yes, wet belt sanders. The ones on Kingsley Norths' site are made by Covington Engineering, a nice product and many board visitors use them.

For one of the best see the link. About $1500.

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/ ... 85&Origin=

Ron
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I've used the Somaca BM-132 for about 10 years. It gets hard use almost every day, and I've partially rebuilt it twice. Adjusted for use, and the value I get from it, it is one of the best power tool investments I've made. Only drawback is it's size, about the footprint of a phone booth. Somaca is great on parts availibilty and tech help over the phone (If Microsoft were 1/10th as good!). When I need belts, I get them one or two days after ordering. I like my belt sander.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Forgot the other draw back, they're expensive. Just checked and the current price is $2.5K.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Ouch! You guys are into some serious machinery. :shock:
Maybe I'll just wait some more or start with a smaller one. Thanks. :)
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I too have a Somaca, only I bought it on E-bay and drove cross-country to pick it up. Keep looking!
Lisa W.

Post by Lisa W. »

So glad you all are talking about sander/polishers. I was wondering about not only polishing the outside edge but and interior, like a bowl. The CL4W looks like just a sander. did not see a reference to cork belts for it. I have a Mikita belt sander ( like Berts at WGW ) that I use with cork belts, but it is a lot of wrist work for me. Sanding with it is okay but to polish is a lot of time and work. Any ideas. The more I research the more confused I get.
Lisa W
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

I just looked at Kingsley's site and there deluxe wet belt looks just a little bit smaller them the CRL64 and significantly cheaper. Smaller moter and a bit pricier belts. do I consider this one?
Jeri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The Covington sanders definitely merit a look, but I felt the need to move up quickly and sold my 40" Covington before it was three months old. It has a mickey mouse water system (a sponge) but really needs a constant water feed or a recirculating pump. I know Amy in Milwaukee uses one and her work is exquisite.

BTW: the 106" Somaca wet belt sander is only $1500. It's the 132" sander that is $2500. Either will last a lifetime.

Tony
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

so, in your humble opinions, do I go with the one from CR laurence or go to somaca. :?: It seems the prices are comparable. I really would prefer a "tabletop" unit for space and water is no problem, but am I shortchanging myself. I most definately will not be using it on a daily basis.
Is it the CRL 64 that has the micky mouse water. I know it can be used for the traveling glazer
jeri
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

If you're going to use it infrequently,and the pieces of glass will be relatively small ( say 2 sq. ft or less) I'd go with a tabletop. I started with one and outgrew it pretty quickly, but it was fine for smaller work. The big advantage of a floor model is that you can work big, and really put some pressure on the platen(roller) if you need to. I also find it easier on the back. The belts will last longer too, by virtue of their being longer. I'm a big proponent of getting more tool than you need, as I'm often outgrowing what I began with, but for a big ticket item like a floor sander it would make sense to start with a smaller one, and just see how much use you get out of it. If you need to upgrade, I suspect you can easily find a buyer for the tabletop, and not be stuck with it. One more thought-Before I bought my first sander I took a trip to a local window glass shop that I had gotten friendly with, with an armload of all the different shapes I thought I'd be working with. They let me take 15 minutes to try their sander out. After the first minute I knew I had to have one. It was an inexpensive test that gave me great information.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I started out with a cheap($150) 24" imported combination belt and disk machine which I converted to use with glass by standing it on end and with a bent plexiglas water shield that protected everything. Don't bother with the idea. The small, odd size belts were really hard to find/order and cost as much or more than a 4x106 and wore out almost instantly. It would have been much easier to do the "15 minute" test in a glass shop on a big machine. Check out my past posts on care for one of these type machines if you are buying one. Go with BEE.
As for belts, I use 50 as my 80 grit for I find the aggressive cutting that you initially have with an 80 (and I LIKE speed) disappears into what a 120 is like. My agressive 50 rapidly wears into an 80. Wear eye protection etc. for the flying grit can chip eye glasses. I know of one member on this board who likes a 40 grit for hogging off material.
Kevin
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

If anyone is looking for SiC belts too fit any machine try http://www.premierabrasive.com they sell stock belts from 1" x 30" to 4" x 132" and can custom make any size they've got a belt 52" x 132" I can imagine the foot print for that machine. There located in Lousiana I believe. Great customer service and decent prices.

Rick Wilton
Last edited by Rick Wilton on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Wilton