crl 64 sander/ what belts for starting up

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

One too many e's

Try this

http://www.premierabrasive.com/
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

thanks again.
I did get hooked to a belt sander wheni took classes at Urban(froze my ------ off) and Corning. Sooo versatile and as was said, can hog the stuff off you need. I don't do too large, but will be working on table inserts hopefully this winter. I'm a pipsqueak myself, so I'll make what I can handle. Don't think I'll ever buy sheets the size Bert gets :lol:
Ordering today!
Jeri
SarahM.

I love this topic~

Post by SarahM. »

I am so glad you guys are talking about this right now!

Ok, so... I need a wet belt sander to-and I don't know much about them. But-I just took a class at EGS and we went to the instructors studio to cold work-and what she had was the CR Lawrence standing wet belt sander. Not ever polishing my work before-I was really impressed with the sander-and how easy it was to use and change the belts. The round of belts we did were: 60/120/220/400
( I think I have that right..) So I'm thinking about CR L....
Do you change the belts often..or do they last awhile?

Sarah
charlie

Post by charlie »

it's totally dependant upon how much you use them (clock time), amount of water you give them, and the pressure you put on them. it will be different for everyone.
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

Charlie,
I understand the wear from usage and pressure but how does the quantity of water figure into this
Drizzle or not, here I come
Jeri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

While water does affect belt life, it has a more direct effect on your glass. You can get your glass hot enough to crack if you don't have enough water flow. It doesn't take very long either. And if the glass is that hot, you can be pretty sure that the belt is getting hot. And the abrasive is held onto the belt with adhesive which will eventually soften and let go of said abrasive. The water also helps keep the dust down.

water is good... :lol:

As far as belt life goes, I've gone through (2) 80 grit belts in 8 months. With the finer grits, I'm still on the first belt... but I don't do glass full time either.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie

Post by charlie »

Jeri Dantzig wrote:Charlie,
I understand the wear from usage and pressure but how does the quantity of water figure into this
Drizzle or not, here I come
Jeri
if you forget to turn it on and use the belt dry, it will get destroyed in very short order. part of the job of the water is to remove glass dust from the belt. not enough water will cause glass to clog it, which can be removed with a sanding belt dresser (big, thick gummy block of rubberish stuff).
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Other important job of the water is to keep glass dust out of the air, and our lungs. Like the other Tony said, too little water can really heat up the glass. I have seen an orange glow at the belt more than once, and if I don't remedy the water shortage, a crack soon follows. Another point to make about belts, is that while an 80 grit will wear pretty quickly if you're doing serious material removal, it may not be ready for the trash. If it's not shredded, just dull, you effectively have a finer grit belt that can be used, as say, a 180 grit.