vermiculite board

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

michelle andre

vermiculite board

Post by michelle andre »

Does anyone know where I can get vermiculite board? I use it to make various slumping molds. It is great to work with because it cuts easily, it allows the glass to breathe,and is reusable. I used to purchase it from Seattle Pottery but I have had shipping woes and problems with customer service time and time again and unfortunately must boycott them based on reliability, etc.. Also,I would also be interested if anyone knows of an alternative material they think might work in place of the vermiculite insulating board. Thanks, Michelle[/list][/list]
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I only have local sources which may not do you much good (depending on where you're at). Look in the Thomas Register on line for refractories, or find an A.P. Green distributor near you. Good luck.
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

I have heard that Bullseye Connection is proposing it but I can't be sure because it is a product that I do not use.
Try to give them a call, their link is at the top of the page.

Patricia
BobB

vermiculite

Post by BobB »

You can buy bags of vermiculite and perlite from home depot or lowes in the gardening center. It's commonly used in potting soils to allow air into plant roots (the little white bb's you see in potting soil is perlite). This will be loose vermiculite and perlite. It's an excellent insulator, but you'll have to come up with a binder to form it into boards or molds. Sodium silicate (waterglass) works well as a binder for making refactories, however it's only good up to 1000 degrees. I'd be interested in finding out what binders the board makers use. Do you know the manufacturer of the board you used to buy?

BobB
Marty

Post by Marty »

Check archives.

Michelle- Bullseye has it- that's what they make their casting boxes out of.

BobB- this is a pressed board, no binders.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The other Marty, Marty Daily at Center de Verre (see sponsor link above), told me that he was going to be carrying the vermiculite board. Give him a call or email him.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun