square slumping mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Hassur

square slumping mold

Post by Linda Hassur »

I need to make a square serving bowl approx 10-12 inches across and so far haven't found a source. I'm wondering if it would slump into that size square bowl or whether it would need to be a drop out mold. Any help or sources would be appreciated. Linda
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

You could try cutting a square out of the center of a 12" piece of ceramaguard, or several layers of J-100.

This would give you something that looked like this:

Steve
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Steve:
Wow!! That is gorgeous!!
Kim
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Kim,

I see you're in the Tampa area. Do you order from Art Glass House?

If so, they have a square slumper in their catalogue. The 12" slumper is #30-8637. I've used it on many occasions and am pleased with it.

Judy
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

glassaddict wrote:Steve:
Wow!! That is gorgeous!!
Kim
Thanks!

Steve
Zane
Location: moved to Illinois (not Chicago) in 2006 from Wisconsin

Post by Zane »

Wow! What a great looking piece! It seems to glow from within. Makes me want to touch it to see if it feels as glossy as it looks.

More like this, please.......

Zane
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

If you want a serving vessel with a square edge, and a square center recess isn't necessary, just use a round form. Disadvantage is the size the form takes up in the kiln, since the diameter of the form needs to be the point to point measure of the square. If you are only making one, you can also do it as a dropout, either using the previously mentioned board or other material, or stacking glass, covering with thinfire, and using that as the form. It can be a little tricky, but I have done it many times with success. Same effect can be acheived using flat steel stock, laid up so corners overlap, and also covering with thinfire. Good luck.
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Hi Judy.
Yes, I am in the Tampa area. Funny, I contacted Art Glass House a week ago to set up an account with them. It is a 2 hour ride for me - so I could order, go pick up, stop over in Coco for lunch and then head home. I am always up for a road trip!!

Where are you?
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com