STRIP CUTTER

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

STRIP CUTTER

Post by slats »

Suggestions please for the best tool to use when cutting multiple strips?
jim simmons

Re: STRIP CUTTER

Post by jim simmons »

doctac wrote:Suggestions please for the best tool to use when cutting multiple strips?
I use the Morton system.
Jim
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

The best I have see have been home made. but one simple method that I frequently use is to cut an appropriate width straight edge either from glass or wood. This is also good if you want a narrowing strip.

With this method you butt the edge of the glass against a thick fixed straight edge, lay your straight edge on top of the glass and against the fixed straight edge and cut. ( be sure to cut your strait edge 3/32 thinner that what you want for a finished strip)
Marty

Post by Marty »

How much you want to spend?

Judith and Kevin at Vitrum had a machinist copy mine, I think they were selling for $300 to $400.

Stuart Clayman was going to do the same- I haven't heard from him recently.

Bullseye's got one for more $$$. Fletcher makes one for even more.

You can set a fairly simple one up with a raised (supported) rod (glass slides under) as a guide for your cutter. The glass moves left to right on the table to a predetermined mark on a piece of tape or a ruler and you just slice-n-go (tm). The advantage is that you can score an entire sheet before you have to start running those scores. The disadvantage is that you have to get consistent with your cutter angle. Keep it perpendicular.
If you're lefty, just set it up backwards.
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

The best bang for the buck is probably to use an Inland strip cutter. This device also can cut circles but it is a little difficult for that purpose as it does not affix itself to the glass.

I use a custom built cutter which I purchased from Jeremy Lepisto, a glass artist in Portalnd. It works fine but it is pricy. My glass work is my profession so my needs I'm assuming are differnt from yours. Here is a quick rundown on some pluses and minus of various strip cutters:

Inland Type
Advantages:

Lowest cost
Better repeatability in method of cutting

Disadvantages:

Requires a fixed setup
It is possible to design a mobile strip cutting table
Requires a clean, straight reference edge
User must rework previous cut edge if previous break was not clean
Can be used for high volume but throughput will not be as fast as custom

Morton Tool

Advantages:
Moderate cost
Can be used for angle cutting in addition to cutting strips
Can work with inconsistent reference edge

Disadvantages:
Cannot fit a full sheet of glass in either width or length. Sheet must be cut down to fit.
Can be inaccurate due to user inconsistencies
Not recommended for high volume strip cutting

Custom Tool

Advantages:
Very high repeatability in method of cutting
Can work off an irregular reference edge
Can make angular (non parallel edge) strips
Highest manual throughput (2-3 strips/min or better depending on user, glass type/color and strip width)

Disadvantages:
High cost
Requires a fixed setup
It is possible to design a mobile strip cutting table

Waterjet Cutting - Industrial

Advantages:
Highest accuracy and repeatability in method of cutting
Highest throughput
Can make angular (non parallel edge) strips as well as irregular shapes in general
Very clean edges

Disadvantages:
Very High cost
Volume must be very high to justify cost
Higher scrap rate than manual
Setup and jet kerf for cutting means you will not get as many strips/sheet vs manual cutting

Phil
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I'm with Jim -- Morton System.

Judy
slats

much thanks

Post by slats »

Marty can you tell you about your thimble creation....

Why is it that when I put my running plier to the glass.........it does cut to the end of the strip.....makes a 'left turn about 3/4 of the way........
Marty

Post by Marty »

If it happens consistenly like that, it sounds to me like you're not getting even pressure along the whole length of the score. Try starting the score from one end and then running it from the other. How long and how wide are the strips, and what glass?

The "Nimble" tm or "Thutter" also tm is just a cutter like the Toyo replacement, cut down and epoxied to the end of a thimble. Squash the thimble slightly oval to fit your index finger, trim your fingernail, -n-go.
This will not replace your regular cutter, nor is it effective for strips, but is great for small work or pattern work. The idea is free but I suggest that if you make one, send Brad Walker a couple of bucks for the scholarship fund for the next WGWE, or send CERF the same, and pass the cheatin' technology on to other fusers.
slats

strips

Post by slats »

cute Marty, will do...........
The strips are 1/4 o 1"........BE....all colors.......still happens regardless. Changed my cutter to new one.....could it be the runningplier (the rubber tips wear down soooooooooo quickly)...or is it just me. How do you achieve those fabulous strips on your bowls...........Im green with envy!
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

doctac wrote:Suggestions please for the best tool to use when cutting multiple strips?
I dont get a lot of time these days

I got a Bohle srtip cutter

The site is not working now

Mail me n remind me n I will get the page 4 U when I next on

http://www.bohle.de/

I have modified the tool

Brian
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

If you are trying to break off 1/4" from the side of a sheet it will often run out. Try cutting 1/2" strips and breaking those first then split the 1/2" strip. They should run better.

Works for me.

The Hobbyist...........................Jim
Marty

Post by Marty »

I score a half sheet of BE at a time, all (for example) 3/8" strips. I take the sheet to the edge of the table and run every 4th score, then go back and run every 2nd score, and then do each one. Keeps the mass on each side of the score sort of even. Of course the glass sometimes has its own ideas.....
Jim's method will work- it's the same principle- but is more time consuming.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Morton system works for me. I have about 5 in my studio and we use them daily for production. Though the oldest components(10 years plus) are showing signs of serious wear they are still not ready for retirement. Morton systems are inexpensive, versatile, well supported by the manufacturer, and long lived. Using the basic component pieces I have improvised setups to do strips and other shapes well outside the parameters of the basic system.
Robert Cohen

Post by Robert Cohen »

There is an item called "The Scoreboard" that I use for cutting multiple strips. It's simple, and it's cheap ($49.95 at Stained Glass Warehouse in Asheville NC).
Hope this helps.

Bob
Harry

Post by Harry »

If you are cutting strips often or if you are cutting glass of greater than one thickness a strip cutter is the answer.
We custom build one that is the state of the art. It sells for $400 and is the equivalent of those selling for twice that.
Call Water Jet Design 503-615-0144 for details.

Site work OK now

I use this speed cutter

http://213.68.208.162/scripts/mgrqispi. ... TS=-N2,-N1

Exept that its suposed 2 run on the edge of the glass

I got a wooden strait edge 4 it 2 run on

I score it all

I then use the Marty

1/2 n 1/2 tm technology

2 break out the glass

I swapped the head 4 a Toyo one

I am convinced that nothing will ever work unless I fix it first

Brian

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
Site work OK now

I use this speed cutter

Exept that its suposed 2 run on the edge of the glass

I got a wooden strait edge 4 it 2 run on

I score it all

I then use the Marty

1/2 n 1/2 tm technology

2 break out the glass

I swapped the head 4 a Toyo one

I am convinced that nothing will ever work unless I fix it first

Brian
It appears the link I gave does not go to the actual page !!!!!!!!!!

BO 580.2 Speed Cutter with cutting head, 1880 mm

From page go cuting breaking

Then speed cutter

Brian
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

seeing the post about the best strip cutter reminded me of this hilarious and well-written post from last February. i really laughed out loud reading this one:

http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=83724

i wish Ralph would show up and post some more episodes in Lust For Tools, the Unexpurgated Postings.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hi Kitty

Still here, still adapting tools and processes; working at combining colored glasses in more "controlled" ways than usual. Some progress -- but getting the right surface quality within constraints is proving tough -- just a single fuse firing, no coldwork, no abrasive blast and no acid etch.

I hope your work is going really well.

Ralph
Mira

Post by Mira »

I swear by the Morton system. A sales woman talked me into it - I didn't think I needed it, but hey, I was splurging, so I took it. On of the better glass buys I made. I think I paid $100 - $150. The directions suck, but once you're going, it's great. Basically, it's like setting up a wood working jig - not only do your strips come out straight, they will be identical.

Good luck, doctac!

Mira