Atten: Jewelry Pendant artist

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

Atten: Jewelry Pendant artist

Post by camaro »

I have asked before, and what I am looking for is:

A flat or round disc with a cylinder at the top, that a chain or whatever can go through it.
This item comes in a variety of sizes.
When asked before everyone said its called a Bail. Well the Bails I've found are v shaped with prongs.

Please if your making pendants, where do I buy these disc with the cylinders on top at wholesale?

I can't find them on the internet, in our business section on the board, yet I see other artist creating glass jewelry using these, where are they finding them????????

Frustrated
camaro :(
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Sorry I can't help with a site, but the general term for these type of items is Findings. You may want to a seach for a findings wholesaler.
Stephie
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Yes, they're called bails. They are shaped like a leaf with a loop on top. I got mine from Stained Glass Warehouse. Althought I just tried their site and couldn't access it. Ed Hoy's recently started selling them too but they're not listed in their main catalog. The numbers are #48430 for small and #48431 for large.

Randy
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Hi Camaro,

You may like the easy way out (buying them), but they really are incredibly easy and simple to make yourself. By making them yourself you are able to vary the width, size of cylinder, shape and all manner of small variations that will make your work unique.

Take a piece of sterling silver strip (you can order this from Rio Grande) which you simply bend around a piece of dowling for the cylinder part of the bale. Leave a length under the cylinder to glue onto the back of the glass. The hardest part is cutting the silver strip if you don't have the right tools ... a jewelers saw works best I think.

Sadie
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Thanks for the tip Sadie!
Stephie
charlie

Re: Atten: Jewelry Pendant artist

Post by charlie »

camaro wrote:I have asked before, and what I am looking for is:

A flat or round disc with a cylinder at the top, that a chain or whatever can go through it.
This item comes in a variety of sizes.
When asked before everyone said its called a Bail. Well the Bails I've found are v shaped with prongs.

Please if your making pendants, where do I buy these disc with the cylinders on top at wholesale?

I can't find them on the internet, in our business section on the board, yet I see other artist creating glass jewelry using these, where are they finding them????????

Frustrated
camaro :(
http://www.austinbluemoon.com/ssilver.html

these have been advertized in the classifieds here.
ruthpowers

Post by ruthpowers »

Sadie,
What sterling silver strip do you get? How thick? Dead soft? Thanks.
P.S. I get mine finished bales from Blue Moon now. I highly recommend them.
Ruth Powers
Glass Silver Dance Dogs
Peggy C

Post by Peggy C »

You can do the same thing by forming a bale out of fine silver bezel wire and fusing it between two pieces of glass. No need for glue this way.
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

To be honest I usually just cut the strip myself from a piece of sheet which I can do with my metal sheet cutter ... but I thought it was unlikely you would have a tool like this so you could buy the ready made strip from Rio. It comes in 24 gauge - that's .50mm thick (the gauge I usually use for the bails), and in widths from 1/8" to 1/2" ... I think 1/4" upwards would give enough width for gluing for the bail ...

It comes already Dead soft ... but you may want to work harden it more than the bending to ensure it doesn't open up at all ... you'll have to test it to see how much stress it will put up with.

I hope that helps,

Sadie
Carla Fox

where have you looked?

Post by Carla Fox »

Where have you looked?
Have you check out the Rio Grande catalog & Fire Mountain Gems?
Also,I think the way to spell this bail is bale. I could be wrong but this may affect any internet searches you do for it.

Good luck.

Carla
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Hi Carla,

On the spelling of bail ... I originally posted using the spelling "bale", but after checking my Rio catalog I changed them all to "bail".

Being of English birth and education I'm always (well not always as I would have better spelling in my posts) double checking iffy anglo/american words ... and this one has me confused. I'll check my dictionaries again in the morning (both English and American versions) to find out the truth!

Sherlock Speller
Ann Demko

bails

Post by Ann Demko »

Goodmorning sunshine, Is fine silver bezel wire the same as sterling wire used to wrap jewelry? What size is recommended? Flat or round? As you can see, I'm new at the fused pendant game and inquiring minds want to know. Ann
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

sadiesjewels wrote:Hi Carla,

On the spelling of bail ... I originally posted using the spelling "bale", but after checking my Rio catalog I changed them all to "bail".

Being of English birth and education I'm always (well not always as I would have better spelling in my posts) double checking iffy anglo/american words ... and this one has me confused. I'll check my dictionaries again in the morning (both English and American versions) to find out the truth!

Sherlock Speller
Hey there Sherlock!

According to Merriam Webster, the noun bale means either a great evil, woe or sorrow, or a bundle of goods as in a bale of hay.

Bail has a multitude of meanings. The first refers to a container used to remove water from a boat, the second refers to the temporary release of a prisoner in exchange for security given for the due appearance of the prisoner, security given for the release of a prisoner on bail, and one who provides bail. The third meaning refers to a supporting half hoop, a hinged bar for holding paper against the platen of a typewriter, or a usually arched handle (as of a kettle or pail). Finally the last (chiefly British) meaning refers to a device for confining or separating animals.

I'd say that the correct spelling is bail.

yours sincerely,
Barbara, a.k.a. can't type but can spell girl
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Thanks Barbara,

Bail it is ...

Sadie
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Oh, and sterling silver and fine silver are different animals ... sterling silver is an alloy of 925 parts silver and 75 parts something else - usually copper, but can be other things too. Fine silver is 999 parts silver.

The addition of other materials was added to silver to improve the strength of the metal ... sterling silver is much stronger and less flexible - the degree of the flexibility between the two is open to argument as I have found out before!

Fine silver is used as a bezel wire because of it's greater flexibility ... but makes it a weak choice for items where a degree of strength is needed - rings being a prime example ...

Sadie
Peggy C

Post by Peggy C »

Hi Ann,

You can get fine silver bezel wire in various widths, or by the sheet and cut your own. I use 3/16". The thing is, it's flat, so it can be easily inserted between two pieces of glass before firing. After firing, you can stick a thin dowel into the loop and hammer the bail with a mallet to work-harden it.
As far as strength it seems fine since it's only a tiny loop.
Good luck,
Peggy
Kelly Burke Makuch

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

I believe "U got Glass? ", a warm glass sponsor, carries bails that are a flat disc with a loop on top to thread a necklace through. If memory serves me right(which lately :shock: is a little shakey... they're about $5. ea.
Hope this of some help. Rio Grande also carries items that may be useful..... Kelly Makuch
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Delphi Glass also carries them and you get a whole package of 25 large for $11.95 or small for 10.95 they are on special this month. Hope this helps!