thickness of glass for sinks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Deb DeForest

thickness of glass for sinks

Post by Deb DeForest »

Can anyone tell me what the most common thickness of glass is to form a sink? I'm using 3mm BE glass -- I'm thinking it should be about 12mm thick before slumping into the stainless mold. Any comments? Also, any advice for fusing 4 layers of glass and special problems I should be aware of in advance?

Thanks,

Deb
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Hey Deb. There is tons of info about sinks both in the old and new archives. Do a search on sinks. While 3mm is probably too thin, you probably don't have to go as thick as 12mm -- but you could. Just remember when fusing that glass wants to be 6mm thick so you will have to dam the piece. BE has information about annealing schedules for thick pieces on their website. Have fun!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

When I'm using 3mm glass, I make the blank 6 layers thick. My goal is to start with 3/4" thick glass (or as close to it) before slump. - Barbara
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Like Barbara, I also want 3/4" as the thickness for sinks. Thicker can be great also, just have to think of what look and use of the sink you are going for. For an oval sink a drop mold works well. You need to know your glass and when the flow of the glass is not quite touching the bottom - need to flow slowly also so the neck or inside of the drop ring doesn't get thin or have stretch marks. After the slump the sink can look stunning by cutting off the lip then polish to a high polish.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

20mm is my goal as well. I fuse 2 layers of 10mm and let them spread a bit.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions