What kind of new controller?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sraeeaton

What kind of new controller?

Post by sraeeaton »

I have a Paragon Kiln GL-22A that I have been using with Paragon TouchnFire II controller. When the kiln isn’t on, the temperature readout in the room is sometimes correct, and sometimes reads some crazy temperature like 250. If you set a program for firing, it starts out OK sometimes, but seems to read the temp in the kiln way higher than it is. So it ends up shutting off way to soon, or going to the next stage of firing before it actually should, because the temp might be reading 700, but seems more like only 200 or something in the kiln. If set for max. firing speed to, let’s say, 0 to 600, the elements are come on so it doesn’t seem to be anything to do with the kiln itself. But then the kiln shuts off because it is reading, let’s say 650 and it is only, in reality, maybe 200. I contacted Paragon and they gave me some tests to perform (actually my husband took over that part). I purchased a new thermocouple because according to them, that was probably what was wrong and it still won’t work. Now I’m looking at having to get a new controller board which is a lot of money. I have had the controller since 1993. I’m thinking that I should probably just get a new controller. What kind of controller do you suggest that I purchase? What do you like and not like? Costs? Thanks for any suggestions.
elin

Post by elin »

Hi there,
When Paragon people ran you through tests, they probably had you check to see what kind of thermocouple your controller is configured for, and a couple of other settings, right? I don't suppose your thermocouple tip is right by some elements? ... no, didn't think so..., that wouldn't explain the room temperature readings. Does the metal wire part of the TC touch the metal body of the kiln sometimes, causing a sort of a short-- and a mis-reading?
Hmmm, I can't think of anything else that would explain the erratic behavior.
Good luck with the hunt.
-elin
http://www.ekmillerco.com
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

You can trade in your controller to Paragon for their new model for $200.00

Just call the service department and ask for an upgrade number.
Lionel Prevost
psg@lava.net
(808)262-7771