Low Tech Pattern Bar Cutting?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judd

Low Tech Pattern Bar Cutting?

Post by Judd »

Before I blow a wad of cash on a tile saw (I really want one, but with 3 kids, food is kinda important in our lives), is there a low tech way to cut pattern bar? I don't really care if the cut is perfect and clean.

I read how the old bead makers would make a milifloral cane, score a slice, rest the cane on a wedge of steel, then tap the top of the cane with a hammer - neatly slicing off a cut from the cane.

Would this process work? I know the edges would be ragged, but as I stated, that is not a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Judd
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

The process that you describe works for larger pieces of thick glass. I don't think it can work for pattern bars but I have never tried either, so...

I do not know what is your budget but you can find a tile saw for $50 on sale at Harbor Freight or Home Depot. It splashes water and is not too precise, but it will do the job. The blade provided will cut glass but if you can afford, get a better blade like a lapidary (expect that the blade costs cost as much as the saw).

Hope that helps....
Patricia
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

A hand held die grinder - check the used tool section at your local Sears or repair shops - $40-60.00

4" Diamond blade - buy a new one $30-40.

If you have a good compressor - new air grinders are cheap -30-40 and you dont have to worry about shock.

Work outside and wear a face mask and goggles - it's messy.
Lionel Prevost
psg@lava.net
(808)262-7771
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

if it's not going to be a regular thing, ask a tile shop to cut them for you. that's what i do. i can't have any messy power tools because i live in a condo. thank heavens i'm moving to a house in January, so i can do things that are impossible in my present situation. anyway, i've been going over to the stone and tile yard in my town, and the guys cut my bars for me. the last time i was there, they said they'd show me how to use their big tile saw so i can do my own cuts.

you can rent tile saws, of course.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Saws waste material. Ceramic tile nippers can work as can scoring and using a pair of grozing or regular pliers if you are cheap. Kevin
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Saws waste material. Ceramic tile nippers can work as can scoring and using a pair of grozing or regular pliers if you are cheap.
You cut pattern bars with ceramic tile nippers or by scoring then grozing :?: :!:

One inch pattern bars?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brad Walker wrote:
Kevin Midgley wrote:Saws waste material. Ceramic tile nippers can work as can scoring and using a pair of grozing or regular pliers if you are cheap.
You cut pattern bars with ceramic tile nippers or by scoring then grozing :?: :!:

One inch pattern bars?
He's got a BIG nipper. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Re: Low Tech Pattern Bar Cutting?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Judd wrote:Before I blow a wad of cash on a tile saw (I really want one, but with 3 kids, food is kinda important in our lives), is there a low tech way to cut pattern bar? I don't really care if the cut is perfect and clean.

I read how the old bead makers would make a milifloral cane, score a slice, rest the cane on a wedge of steel, then tap the top of the cane with a hammer - neatly slicing off a cut from the cane.

Would this process work? I know the edges would be ragged, but as I stated, that is not a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Judd
Judd

Take some glass over to Home Depot. Tell them you are thinking of buying a tile saw and you want to see how it works. If the guy is cool and not too busy, maybe he'll cut some up for you.

If that works you can make the rounds to Lowes etc. Make your first piece good and sell it or trade it for a tile saw. The small one is only around $80. By all means eat first.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Judd

Post by Judd »

Thank you for your replies.

I already made my first pattern bar (1/4" thick), and tried the method I described above with very ragged results. But, $50 or $70 isn't too bad for a tile saw.

Thanks again,
Judd
charlie

Post by charlie »

Lionel wrote:A hand held die grinder - check the used tool section at your local Sears or repair shops - $40-60.00

4" Diamond blade - buy a new one $30-40.

If you have a good compressor - new air grinders are cheap -30-40 and you dont have to worry about shock.

Work outside and wear a face mask and goggles - it's messy.
harbor freight sells one for $15 on sale. that, and a 4" diamond blade which will run around $10 there on sale, will get you a rough way to do this. you can get a cheap tile saw from home depot or harbor freight for around $75.