need kiln advice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Steph Mader

need kiln advice

Post by Steph Mader »

I need some advice about a kiln. I am moving to a new place where I can build a studio. I won't have room to set up my large kiln until the studio is up. So while I wait for the studio to be done, I'd like to have a smaller kiln, maybe 24" or a bit smaller, that I can plug into a dryer circuit or 120v.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but it would be nice to have a backup kiln that's big enough that I can use it in the studio later too. Any ideas?

Thanks
Steph
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

A dryer circuit is 30 amps? I don't know of a kiln in that size range that takes less than a 40 amp circuit.
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Hi Lynne,

Yeah, I think a dryer circuit is 30 amps. I wouldn't be surprised if

I seem to remember that I knew someone who had a 24" kiln that ran on 120V, but it might have been custom and taken 12 hours to reach fusing temp, who knows. I'm just trying to keep working a bit while my regular kiln is out of commission, so maybe I'll have to get something smaller.

Steph
vblue

Post by vblue »

Paragon has some that are 17" that run on 120v.
The new Hot Start by Skutt is a good kiln also but is only 13".

Vernelle
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The 23" Evenheat is rated for 30 Amps at 240VAC and will run off a dryer outlet. In operation, it runs at about 27 Amps. It's a good size for single projects up to 19" - 20" diameter (it has a 21" shelf) or for multiple small items. The Rampmaster 2 controller is really easy to use too.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks,

I'll start looking around for one - I'll check the classifieds.

Steph