Considering Skutt kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Morganica

Considering Skutt kiln

Post by Morganica »

I've found a Skutt GM1414 kiln at a pretty good price and am getting very serious about buying it. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with this model? What should I watch out for? Any special way to vent? Anything I should know about setting it up?

All help most welcome!

Thanks--

--cynthia
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

Love mine, only problem has been a couple of pins in the roof have fallen out and a few are now loose, but, no other problems and I'm still happly with it.

Robin Z
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Falling pins are a HUGE problem! They will ruin your work, the coils will eventually fall out and dust will also be falling into your glass. I've had my 1414 re-pinned had those pins fall out too and then had Skutt send me a new lid. New lid has same problem.

I was recently told Skutt has started threading their coils like JenKen so they don't need pins and won't fall out. Yesterday (after my kiln would not turn off due to a broken relay) I talked to a technician but he knew nothing of this improvement. If they have not fixed the pin problem and if the kiln you are considering is pinned I would run to another kiln maker that has addressed this problem at any cost. Now I wish I had spent the extra monty and gotten a JenKen, though I have to say customer service at Skutt has been good. Marc
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

I have the 1414 Skutt kiln, and for the most part I really like it. It's been running pretty much 24 hours a day for 3 weeks now (I've had it almost two years). My first kiln was a much smaller Skutt, and I still use it almost daily without a problem. Since you live in Portland, having the manufacturer so close is a very very big plus. I've found that they've always responded to my concerns. When I first got my kiln, I had drooping elements and dropping pins, and they repinned and changed the elements. Since then it's been a lot better, but the elements are once again drooping and I'm sure the pins are next to fall. I'm going to ask them about the new lids. You might find out how much they cost and put that into the equation on how much you can afford to spend. I did go through a set of relay switches, but I think it was because my kiln room was getting too hot. I now have a fan aimed at the controller box and have had no problems. The lid is very heavy and hard to lift, but I have had a pulley system rigged up so I just have to pull a rope now to get the lid up. BUT I still like the kiln! Good luck! Kate Saunders
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Wow--what helpful information! :D

I really liked the 1414 for its size and "bathtub" shape, but I was a bit concerned about the elements, with some justification, sounds like. The clamshell might be the better, option, even though I don't get that lovely size. I do like the way the elements are fixed into the lid.

Thanks, everyone!

--cynthia
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hhi Cynthia, I just purchased a new kiln coffin size from Evenheat. I have a Skutt that is less than a year old that the pins keep falling out of the lid and I had to have the side coil repinned a few months ago. I talked to Skutt several times to even get them to send someone out to pin the creeping side coil. When I called them again to tell them it was creeping a little again ( a week later) their solution was to send me some long vs. short kiln pins. When I decided to get the bigger kiln it was a no brainer to decide to get another brand. I figure it can't be any worse that my Skutt. Now my only problem is that I need to upgrade my electrical service to 200 amps (?) if I want to run them both at once according to the electrician. The upgrade is no easy thing since the street has to be cut to bring in more power. Good luck with your choice what ever it is. Nanc