Production Sandblasting

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

Production Sandblasting

Post by Marty »

I seem to be going through vacuum motors every 2 to 4 months and Skat (http://www.tptools.com) suggests a move up to a dust collector instead of the standard round canister vacuum.

Any thoughts on this? I'm blasting 180 Silicon Carbide and the machine's going from 1 to 4 hours per day, 2 to 4 days/week.
How about the abrasive reclaimer that they suggest for between the cabinet and the dust collector? Any experience with that?
(Catalog prices are $875 for the collector and $169 for the reclaimer.)

Why are there 2 'u's in vacuum?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Production Sandblasting

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote:How about the abrasive reclaimer that they suggest for between the cabinet and the dust collector? Any experience with that?

Marty, I have a used reclaimer (TP catalog number #6120-40) -- if it works with your unit, let me know.

Vacuum is from the latin "vacuus", which means "empty" and was probably carved onto the side of Roman blasting cabinets as VACVVM.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Marty wrote:I seem to be going through vacuum motors every 2 to 4 months and Skat (http://www.tptools.com) suggests a move up to a dust collector instead of the standard round canister vacuum.

Any thoughts on this? I'm blasting 180 Silicon Carbide and the machine's going from 1 to 4 hours per day, 2 to 4 days/week.
How about the abrasive reclaimer that they suggest for between the cabinet and the dust collector? Any experience with that?

Marty U realy wanna look 4 a cyclone or vortex system

Spin n Win tm

In brief the dust goes round n round the heavy stuff falls n the light stuff gets sucked in2 the bag

In my system I use 280 Si C n I get very little grit through the system

Koi ponds use a similar system

Brian
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

About 9 years ago I bought a Guyson C-21 unit from their New York place, shipped it to Belize and the total cost was less than 400US$.

110volt, the motor is mounted seperate to the extractor/fan part so built to last. Change the filters every 6months or so, not that they need it but just to be on the safe side.

I had to replace the capacitor on the motor. Apart from that it was a good workhorse for a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft cabinet.

It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Paul- you were lucky, guyson no longer makes those or anything smaller than 450 CFM machines.
Nancy suggested (off the board) a shopvac cascade system that sounded ingenious, but the problem with shop vacs is that the motors aren't made for continuous use.
Marty
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

What about building yourself a plywood box with baffles inside that causes the air to flow in a series of curves before it hits the motor. Sounds cheaper than $800. There is also the possibility of fitting standard furnace filtering materials from commercial air filtering companies. They have a tacky oil that can be sprayed on the filter that will continually encapsulate new particulates as they arrive. The stuff is awesome but don't touch it with your bare hands. 1/2 micron filters and tacky oil should protect a motor. The filters are cheap and with proper set up will last a LONG time before needing changing.
I used a system of this type with a small Dayton squirrel cage fan that lasted for years blowing the dust directly out of a cabinet. Yes, right by the fan motor. I needed super clean air leaving the system.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Marty, I've got a 16 bag exhaust/filter that has been going for five years with no trouble. I just shake down the bags every few months. Keeps high negative pressure in the cabinet and sucks the dust out instantly, so I have great visibility. It's about the size of a full length locker, and is pretty noisy. Runs off 120V. The mfr. claims you can vent it indoors, but i vent it outside to be safe. Mfr. is Econoline and I got it used for $500. Had to have it shipped from Utah, but wasn't bad. Dealer I used was Wenzco in PA, and he has a line of all sorts of used blasting stuff. Used to use squirrel cage blowers and replaced motors and or bearings too often.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

try running four shop vacs in series, with only the last one running, in the first one but a piece of cloth, the second just leave the cartridge filter, the third either a dry wall dust type filter and the last a hepa type cartridge filter. Nothing will get through to the hepa filter. You need shop vacs that can attach a hose to the exhaust. I bought a dust collector with 1 micron bags on it but still found the shop would get hazy. Hopefully you didn't throw out the old shop vacs. Also the big killer of many shop vacs isn't the grit going through the vac but settling on top and falling into the motor.

Rick Wilton
Rick Wilton
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

We sandblast about that much. Just use a 250 dollar sandblasst vacuum from, econo...its basically to drums stacked together with a motor on top. Its effective....been running it for three years no problems...its noisy tho..Next life I am going to have the compressor and vacuum in their owns seperate soundproofed room.

As for the reclaimer...I got one from tip tools..........in six months maybe reclaimed 6 cups of media...big deal.

Rick
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
clip

Spin n Win tm
clip
You've mentioned these before Brian. Is there one pictured on this link?
http://home.att.net/~dustventinc/dvprod ... ectors.htm

Don Burt wrote:
clip

Spin n Win tm
clip
Link currently not work

Brian

Don Burt wrote:
clip

Spin n Win tm
clip
This is the company mine is from

Vacu Blast

http://www.surfacepreparation.com/xq/as ... family.asp

If U cut it down 2 .com U get the main site

Could not C any vortex type system

Although this is a pre filter thing where the dust is separated from the grit then its the dust extracted 2 the bag thingy

This is the actual company site

http://www.vacu-blast.com/blastingcabinets.htm

Brian