Gold Leaf in fusing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DEK

Gold Leaf in fusing

Post by DEK »

I am a newbie so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been covered.

Has anyone used gold leaf and if so could you share your procedure for fusing it into the glass?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Use some light oil to hold the leaf, (or preferably, foil) in place. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Foil will work much better than leaf. Unless you use several layers of the leaf, it won't show up very well and will just be wasted.

Brock's suggestion about oil is a good one -- I use mineral oil, but any light oil will work.

Also, since gold is so expensive you might practice with silver instead -- the two behave pretty much the same.
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

Here is an example of trapping gold leaf between two pieces. It is in the center of the suncatcher. When I started this was had two full layers of gold leaf. Most burns off.

Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

If you use one layer of the leaf and bring to full fuse, much of it will burn off, but if you use three layers, most will remain.

You can get nice effects if you have areas with 1,2 and three layers in the same piece. The same holds true for the silver leaf.

http://www.clearwaterglass.com/TempuraL ... Detail.htm
http://www.clearwaterglass.com/african_ruby.htm

These two pieces have sections that show this effect.

Steve