Death of an Organization

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brock

Death of an Organization

Post by Brock »

I'm off to the AGM of the BC Glass Arts Association tonight. It may well be the last meeting, a motion has been placed on the agenda to disband, or ephemeralize, or whatever it is organizations do when they stop.

It was founded in 1988, and has held numerous shows, curated shows, members shows, workshops, visiting lecturer's slide shows, tours of art exhibits, Pilchuck tours, etc., etc.

We currently award a FULL scholarship to Pilchuck and 2 $500.00 scholarships to the summer glass program at Red Deer College.

Apathy, disinterest, ennui, blah, blah, blah.

Me not happy!

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Death of an Organization

Post by Brad Walker »

Brock wrote:I'm off to the AGM of the BC Glass Arts Association tonight.
AGM? Association of Glass Melters? Artists Giving Money?

Or maybe Angry Group of Men? Apathetic Gang of Munchkins?

Or is it Ants Go Marching? (Hurrah! Hurrah!)

And I assume BC stands for Beyond Caring.

Hate to see the organization disband. The scholarships alone would be enough to keep going.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hate to see the organization disband. The scholarships alone would be enough to keep going.

Exactly! I'm hoping for some kind of caretaker Executive to hold an AGM, and remit a financial statement to conform to the conditions of the societies Act. AND, award the scholarships. Brock
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Brock, that's a damned shame.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

That's really too bad. Since I don't have a similar organization here to belong to the BCGAA filled a void. It will be missed.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well, it didn't die. That sneaky board tactic of threatening an vote on it's demise really, really worked. We not only defeated the motion, we elected a new board! Of 9 people!! And I'm one of them!!!

So folks, now's the time to join the BCGAA and have a chance at those scholarships. I can frankly tell you that any member will have an equal opportunity, regardless of nationality and location.

Many of our best artists have already won these scholarships and are no longer eligible (for 10 years). Contact me by PM or email for details. It's only $36.00 CDN per year.

Me am happy now,

Brock - brockg@telus.net
watershed

Post by watershed »

Defintions please. BCGAA, what, why where ,how, with a side order of when.

Never heard of it, but I've been out of the loop for 18yrs. Would love to apply for shows/scholarships, if I knew when, what etc...

Now that I look at it, BCGAA, seems obvious, but maybe the publicitic board member should be given more respect, if you want to be a "prominent" organization.

Greg
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Brock wrote:Well, it didn't die.
clip
Brock - brockg@telus.net
"Well," meaning: "After having shamelessly pulled at your heartstrings with my prophecy of despair, it turns-out after all that".

A strange variant would be 'Well whaddaya know?'
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

BCGAA

BC= British Columbia province (state) in Canada just north of Washington
Glass= well glass
Art
Association

Good for you Brock, I just yesterday saw a flyer at the glass blowing studio I work out of and am happy to hear it's not dead.
Rick Wilton
Brock

Post by Brock »

Thanks everybody,

Now, for the fine print:

BCGAA (B.C. Glass Arts Association)
#148 - 1917 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C.
V6J 1M7
604 696 1400

Annual membership fees - $36.00 CDN

There is also a discussion group on Yahoo, which will probably be where information regarding the BCGAA will be disseminated.Iwould urge you to join this group if you are a member, as the possibility of the newsletter continuing is slight, at least for now:

bcglass-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Brock
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Brock wrote:Well, it didn't die. That sneaky board tactic of threatening an vote on it's demise really, really worked. We not only defeated the motion, we elected a new board! Of 9 people!! And I'm one of them!!!

So folks, now's the time to join the BCGAA and have a chance at those scholarships. I can frankly tell you that any member will have an equal opportunity, regardless of nationality and location.

Many of our best artists have already won these scholarships and are no longer eligible (for 10 years). Contact me by PM or email for details. It's only $36.00 CDN per year.

Me am happy now,

Brock - brockg@telus.net

Excellent news, Brock!!! Way to go!

BTW, I'd love to participate in the Yahoo thing, but I've never gotten that mess cleaned up... For some reason (most likely my ineptness), it recognizes me and negates me at the same time and I cannot get access. So, I'm missing all the news, scholarship deadlines, exhibition opportunities.... How can I start all over again with a clean slate?

A current BCGAA member,
Catharine
Brock

Post by Brock »

Excellent news, Brock!!! Way to go!

BTW, I'd love to participate in the Yahoo thing, but I've never gotten that mess cleaned up... For some reason (most likely my ineptness), it recognizes me and negates me at the same time and I cannot get access. So, I'm missing all the news, scholarship deadlines, exhibition opportunities.... How can I start all over again with a clean slate?

A current BCGAA member,
Catharine

I don't know Catharine, I just tried to join and couldn't even find the group. I will find out later today and post any news I receive. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Yayyyy, I'm so glad to hear that it wasn't disbanded.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Yayyyy, I'm so glad to hear that it wasn't disbanded.

Amy
Me too! We already have a couplre of new members this morning. Brock
quill

Post by quill »

Talk about out of the loop....

I am in BC
& a glassworker
& read this board
How did I ever miss this organization?
Off to join, (or die trying.)
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Well, I think there are lots of glass artists here who don't know about it. It doesn't have a very high profile, although Brock is working hard to correct that. I'm also glad that it didn't die. A glass organization that has been around that long deserves to survive. They just needed some new blood to take on the workload.