millifiori from Effetre Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dan001

millifiori from Effetre Glass

Post by dan001 »

Any one knows where to buy that glass in the USA.I am trying to make a bowl out of some millifiori and need to find a compatible glass for fuse with. apparently the COE is 104. I can get some millifiori but what glass would be compatible???

Lucartha Kohler as published a book called Glass, an artist medium.The book has a bowl like that on page 76.

Thanks

Dan
dasi11

Post by dasi11 »

Frantz sells moretti sheet glass.(104) I just did my first fusing attempt last night and I got great results. I used Moretti, and even some milli's
lissa

Post by lissa »

Arrowsprings has the best selection of Moretti colors COE 104 that I have found. They just added some new colors that are not on the site yet, you can ask them about them by phone or email.

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/moretti_sheets.html

We use moretti to make lampworked murrine, some of which we then fuse to the sheets.

lissa.
dan001

Post by dan001 »

wow thanks a million

Dan
Peg

compaitibilty

Post by Peg »

be warned that not all Effetre colours will be compatible with all your Millefiori colours..
When I was last in Venice I chatted with one of the many fusers there, and he said he has to test every colour with every other colour, and every combination requires a different schedule - typically with 8 different ramps.
My recent experiment with Effetre produced some lovely stuff - and some lovely stuff full on tiny incompatibility cracks where I had packed the millefiori into blocks of varied colours.
lissa

Post by lissa »

Peg, have you found this in general with Effetre in fusing, or only when you include millefiori? Do you make your own millefiori or are you buying it? We make our own milli and murrine and fuse them with effetre sheet and have not experienced incompatibility cracks. I hope we won't begin to see them but I will inspect pieces carefully as I know there can be wide variations, in color at least, from batch to batch with Moretti.

lissa.
Peg

Post by Peg »

lissa wrote:Peg, have you found this in general with Effetre in fusing, or only when you include millefiori? Do you make your own millefiori or are you buying it? We make our own milli and murrine and fuse them with effetre sheet and have not experienced incompatibility cracks. I hope we won't begin to see them but I will inspect pieces carefully as I know there can be wide variations, in color at least, from batch to batch with Moretti.

lissa.
I purchased the millefiore in Venice - a mixed batch. The Effetre sheet glass I used was clear, milky and transp turquoise. The sheet glass passed my initial compatability tests - and where I used 'sparse' millefiore on clear glass no stress shows. But I also made some small pieces completely covered with millefiori - and almost all of these developed tiny internal cracks within days - some around the mille, some right through the middle. In particular, there were mille with a red heart on a white background - the hearts all split across the middle. I also got cracks using the millefiori in 'singles' on the turquoise sheet, though I made one turquoise dish with orange mille. with no stress at all. Anyway, I used up all the glass now, and put it down as a failed experiment.
Saying that, I'm off to Venice again in January (strictly in the interests of research, of course) - and I'm not sure if I can resist temptation in the glass shops!

Peg
dan001

Post by dan001 »

Any idea of a web site where I can actually see pictures of the Moretti glass. Arrowsprings web site does not have any pictures. I have no idea of clear , opalescent .colors. texture etc...

Does moretti have their own web site like most major glass manufacturer?

Thanks

Dan
Peg

Post by Peg »

dan001 wrote:Any idea of a web site where I can actually see pictures of the Moretti glass. Arrowsprings web site does not have any pictures. I have no idea of clear , opalescent .colors. texture etc...

Does moretti have their own web site like most major glass manufacturer?

Thanks

Dan
try http://www.effetre.com/

be warned - the minimum order is 6 crates. (well it was last time I contacted them). Best find a distributor that deals in smaller quantities.
dan001

Post by dan001 »

just visit their web site but still cannot see any sheet glass color on it. Beside the Italian web iste is not exactly easy to understand. Any other suggestions?
lissa

Post by lissa »

Dan, this is not the most helpful link but it should give you and idea, as the rods and sheet are the same colors. Just use your imagination to see sheet glass in place of rods.

http://www.beadfx.com/catalogue/glasschart.html

lissa.
dan001

Post by dan001 »

perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for

Thanks

Dan
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I have some effetre sheet glass and one thing I've noted is that some of the transparent colors look nearly identical before fusing- they start out kind of a pale yellow and then strike to blood-red, orange-red, or acid yellow after firing. This gets a bit screwy when you have scraps to deal with- I have mine in labeled ziplocks to keep them separate. One other thing, there aren't many colors to choose from, just different concentrations of the same colors. I particularly like the pea green opal! Mine have worked with all but a few particular millefiori that I've tried, and if you try the goldstone on dark colors it's spectacular!
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Peg

Post by Peg »

dan001 wrote:just visit their web site but still cannot see any sheet glass color on it. Beside the Italian web iste is not exactly easy to understand. Any other suggestions?
http://www.effetre.com/catalogofiligrana.htm
this shows the colour of the rods - I would imagine the sheet comes in the same colours.

Or email them - I've found them quite helpful (I emailed the Murano site)
lissa

Post by lissa »

Keeping them separate and labeled right when they enter your studio or home is a good idea. You can see from the color charts that 069, 072, and 076, as well as a few more will strike for you.

http://www.beadfx.com/catalogue/glasschart.html

Effetre colors are really beautiful, we use them for our murrine because love the range and brightness of the colors.

lissa.