opinion needed on Covington Commercial Belt sander

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim simmons

opinion needed on Covington Commercial Belt sander

Post by jim simmons »

I would like to get some opinions on the Model No. 760 -- Commercial Belt sander as seen at
http://www.covington-engineering.com/belt_sanders.htm

My needs will not be to great to start with, but hopefully will increase in the coming year.

I have a chance to get this sander for $550.00
Jim
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Jim, I have a Covington and am very happy with it. Actually, the thing sat in storage for many years after I purchased it from a friend. Once I started using it, I don't know how I got along without it. Of course, I only use it for fine sanding work, not "grinding". - Barbara
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi Jim,

I have one too. I found that I was going through my silicon carbide belts like warm butter, so then I bought some diamond belts from Abrasive Technology. It's great now. I have a 70 and a 220 belt that are plate bonded. They cost me $100 and $150. I've had the 70 for over a year and it isn't showing any wear, I've had to have it re-seamed, which they do for free if it's within a year of purchase.

Amy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

That's a good price. Same model as mine and I love mine. I wish it were bigger, but it's big enough.

I need to bite the bullet and get some diamond belts like Amy suggests. The silicon carbide are way cheaper, but I eat 'em up like chocolate. And I don't use my sander all that often :-s . IT would be a good thing to have some that work and last. for a while.

Amy, you use yours all the time don't you?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Almost every day.

A
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

You have all started me thinking my next purchase should be a wet belt sander. Pardon my ignorance, but how noisy and how messy are these to run? Thinking about the Model 460 horizontal and I live in an apartment now.

Susan
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Susan Moore wrote:You have all started me thinking my next purchase should be a wet belt sander. Pardon my ignorance, but how noisy and how messy are these to run? Thinking about the Model 460 horizontal and I live in an apartment now.

Susan
I have one of these. It is sort of a Mickey Mouse tool. If those guys go through belts fast on the 41" unit, the 3 x 24's go much faster.

On the other hand it does the same job as the big boys.

Because I work mostly on big heavy glass, I use a 1 1/8" x 21" hand sander for most of my work. I go to the Covington for smaller pieces that are more comfortable than my sander to move around.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Susan Moore wrote:You have all started me thinking my next purchase should be a wet belt sander. Pardon my ignorance, but how noisy and how messy are these to run? Thinking about the Model 460 horizontal and I live in an apartment now.

Susan
I wear ear plugs when I am using mine, but I use it all the time so I'm pretty carful.

Amy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Susan
It's (760) got a decent sized motor and it spins the belt really fast while water is spraying on it.

It's very noisy and very messy.

You could wear earplugs and use it naked in the bathtub. I know a guy who uses his angle grinder in the tub, but don't know about the naked part :lol:. Maybe a rubber apron and gloves might be a better choice.

:wink:
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Thx for the info and creativity! The bathroom and bedroom are the only rooms that are glass free thus far so I could set up in the tub - I'll post a picture. :D
Chip

Post by Chip »

Susan Moore wrote:Thx for the info and creativity! The bathroom and bedroom are the only rooms that are glass free thus far so I could set up in the tub - I'll post a picture. :D
Ummmmm, Susan, post a picture? :shock: Make sure you get those little black out lines for the appropriate places!!! :P :oops: :D
Chip
Micah 6.8