high-fire with System96?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mpg

high-fire with System96?

Post by mpg »

Hi,

I've been learning so much from this board! I came across some pictures of high-fire work, and would like to try and recreate some of the swirly/color-mixing/3D effects I've seen. I've tried two experiments so far with System96 glass (one at 1700 for 45 minutes, other at 1775 for 1 hour) and am getting some glass mixing and movement, but not very much. I know I've got lots to learn about glass placement and so on, but am wondering if this will be possible with system96 glass. I seem to recall reading that it's more viscous and so pieces of glass are less likely to bleed into one another -- sounds like the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. So, my question is -- is most high-fire work done with 90 coe glass?

Also, I'd really like to try combing. But I have a small likn (Aim 84J) where the lid just lifts off -- no hinges. Would it be possible to safely attempt combing in a kiln like this, or does that need to wait until I have a more suitable kiln?

Thanks!
Michelle
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I'm not sure that "more viscous" matters.

I use BE and I've never had the colors "bleed"

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yes, but how about the jiggly-wiggly factor?

Does that effect it?

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
KILN-TEC

Post by KILN-TEC »

Michelle:
Check out "www.pattygray.com". A very nice site (and person) full of information on combing. Patty Gray's website will give you a tour and teach you a lot, including a "how to" section.
Rich Edelman http://www.kilntec.com
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Ahhhh, the infamous wiggly-giggly factor. You know it's been quite elusive. I'll have to do more testing to see...:)
Amy
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Michelle,

You can do high fire with 90coe and 96coe - just not together. Both should give you beautiful results and just don't go too hot (1750 us pretty hot), can cause the glass to start to boil (bubbles). You don't need to go to such a high temperature with either coe glass to get the glass to move. Have fun experimenting.

For combing the AIM kilns work great. Safety is very important to keep in mind when you are attempting to manipulate anything in a kiln. Always remember to turn off the kiln when you introduce the metal rods to comb/rake with. Have fun, try different strokes, colors, etc.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Ahhhh, the infamous wiggly-giggly factor. You know it's been quite elusive. I'll have to do more testing to see...:)
Amy
Wait a minute! Are you saying you don't get the jiggly wigglies??? Are you serious??? :shock:

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
watershed

Post by watershed »

I'm not an expert, but blowing and casting with 96, I'll put my foot in.

You shouldn't have to go much about 1550degF to get 96 to run. BELOW 1500degF, it's a pig. A real ANNOYING PIG.

In the shop we've been playing with pick-up/roll-ups using 96. It's working fine so far.

If you are missing the swirleys (don't start) from a pot melt, try keeping the temp lower. That would increase the drag from the sides of the pot hole. OR you could try one of my untried ideas, change the shape of the hole. That should change the swirley pattern, and might even wash your elements, I don't know.

Once I get some sleep, and rebuilt oven C4, I'll be happier. But in a flowerpot, Spectrum cullet 96, barely thinks about flowing before 1500. Maybe other glasses are already running at that temp.

Not bad, not good, just info. Draw your own conclusions.

Greg