Envirovent...should I use it?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sheila

Envirovent...should I use it?

Post by sheila »

HI folks and thanks for the previous replies to my questions. You are such a resource!
I've read the archives, but found nothing definitive re this question, and nothing very new, so I'm hoping for a reply or two.
I have an Envirovent and just don't know whether to install it or not. I have an Evenheat Kiln, outside measure 29" (octagon) / 18" deep. I lean toward detail work so use a lot of stringer, etc, and worry about the vibration from a bottom mounted vent. With considerable hassle, I can do some refabrication and mount the motor away from the kiln, but it would sure be easier not to. Does the motor have to run through the entire firing process? Is a rheostat and running the motor at 20% for lessened vibration effective? Effective both in the venting and in the vibration reduction? Is my kiln large enough that there wouldn't be much vibration problem?
Being in Alaska, returning the vent isn't a logical solution.
Thanks much for any replies.
Sheila
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I have plate mounted vents on both of my kilns. They do have a certain (small) amount of vibration, but I seriously doubt that they vibrate enough to cause vibration on the shelf...or to effect the placement of glass pieces...even rolly polly stringers or frits. If they are going to shift, the expansion of the glass from heating will be more apt to be the cause...that and that they were precariously placed to begin with. That's my take anyway :wink:

I love my vents. They remove fumes from the kiln and send them outside rather than into the studio. Mine aren't air tight, so there is still a bit of fuming into the studio, but the vents decrease it considerably. They help even out the heat within the kiln by providing some convection (for smaller kilns, larger ones require more air movement to help with evenivity). For painting, venting is a must, and a mounted vent is more convenient and nicer than a propped lid or open bung hole.

I use a lot of hairspray and hot glue. Venting helps decrease the potential for carbon stains and trapped carbon.

Is a mechanical vent necessary? No. If it's more of a hassle for you to mount it than not, or the pro's don't outweigh the con's, don't don't do it. It's a very nice thing to have, but certainly not necessary (as long as you have good ventilation and air exchange in your studio).

Just one fusers opinion.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i love mine. i do not notice any vibration. skutt 1027 . lani said that at be they solved tha vibration issue some how. you might ask her or mary k . rosanna
Marty

Post by Marty »

When I was doing a lot of tack fusing (rods, thin strips and cane) I blamed a lot on the vibration from the Orton vent mounted under my Evenheat kiln. When I finally got scientific about it and turned the fan off, I still got movement of components, probably due to uneven application and burn-off of the Elmers that was holding them in place.

I stopped tack fusing and I don't vent the kiln, I vent the room.

Marty
Chip

Post by Chip »

Marty wrote:When I was doing a lot of tack fusing (rods, thin strips and cane) I blamed a lot on the vibration from the Orton vent mounted under my Evenheat kiln. When I finally got scientific about it and turned the fan off, I still got movement of components, probably due to uneven application and burn-off of the Elmers that was holding them in place.

I stopped tack fusing and I don't vent the kiln, I vent the room.

Marty
Marty, how do you vent the room?
Chip
Micah 6.8
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

probably by having his kid stand in the door twirling a towel. rosanna (sorry, i just had to beat brian to it)
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Sheila-When I was in Seward I stopped in a cafe, think it's name was The Raven, or something like that. Saw some glass work that I really enjoyed, some fused and some stained glass if I recall correctly. Was that your work? Thought to myself at the time, could there be warm glass on the Kenai peninsula?
Marty

Post by Marty »

rosanna gusler wrote:probably by having his kid stand in the door twirling a towel. rosanna (sorry, i just had to beat brian to it)
Actually he just blows hot air.

I'm in the basement, the kilns are in the furnace room. I took out the casement window and put a louvered fan in its place. Vents the kiln room and the coldworking room.

I'm getting Gabe some good camping gear- there's still lots of room for him in the backyard- and those sleeping bags are supposed to be good to -20F.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Sheila,

I have run an Orton KilnVent at a lower speed using a dimmer switch and have found it works just fine.

Marty... do you ever get visits from Social Services?

Cheers,

Bob