Kilnspace in the UK...........................

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dave Pascoe

Kilnspace in the UK...........................

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi guys,

Ok, this is a plea for help. I need to rent some kiln space to do a job I`ve been commissioned to do.
I need to make 2 windows to be inserted in the middle of a triple glazed unit. The glass is triangular shaped and approx 2M x .9M. So I need a kiln at least 2M x 1M.
The job is to create a sunrise and sunset for two ends of a building. There will only be one firing per piece. I've been working in glass for a couple of years now and know what I`m doing. My kiln just isn't big enough for this job. I will bring all the tools etc that I need for the job.
The job isn`t till February, so nowhere near xmas.
I am trying to get the money together to buy a bigger kiln, but it would be nice to have a fall back plan.

I live in Cornwall, but I`m willing to travel pretty much anywhere up to the midlands.
I really hope that someone can help.
Thanks in advance, Dave...
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Creative glass guild in Bristol offer rental time on kilns, but I'm not sure of the size. If they can't help there is another chap nearby I forget his name but he is the technical kiln guru for Hetleys in London so they could probably help you. Alternatively, the Liquid Glass Centre in Wiltshire also offer rental on kilns. Hope that helps.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Chap's name is Mike Rowe, I'm pretty sure the kilns he rents would meet your requirement
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Kilnspace in the UK...........................

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Dave Pascoe wrote:Hi guys,

Ok, this is a plea for help. I need to rent some kiln space to do a job I`ve been commissioned to do.
I need to make 2 windows to be inserted in the middle of a triple glazed unit. The glass is triangular shaped and approx 2M x .9M. So I need a kiln at least 2M x 1M.
The job is to create a sunrise and sunset for two ends of a building. There will only be one firing per piece. I've been working in glass for a couple of years now and know what I`m doing. My kiln just isn't big enough for this job. I will bring all the tools etc that I need for the job.
The job isn`t till February, so nowhere near xmas.
I am trying to get the money together to buy a bigger kiln, but it would be nice to have a fall back plan.

I live in Cornwall, but I`m willing to travel pretty much anywhere up to the midlands.
I really hope that someone can help.
Thanks in advance, Dave...
Farnhan did have large kiln

U might ask the crafts council

I think they got lists

Brian
Dave Pascoe

thanks.

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Thanks carolyn for the replys so soon. Plenty of people to try. THANKS.

Brian, I was looking at your website a while ago. I really like the work that you do. Very interesting. I found it quite inspiring actually.Thanks.

Dave.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

It took a while to find Dave but better late than never and sounds like you have a bit of time anyway. Found this on the CGS bulletin board;

snip>>>>>
Author: les leeson (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: Jul 23, 2003 14:51

Paragon Glas Designs Ltd are pleased to announce that their flat bed glass kiln will be available for hire at the start of August 2003.
Built especially for slumping large scale glass and with an internal size of 1780mm x 2850mm and 300mm deep.
The elements are located in the roof giving an even firing which is perfect for float glass and slumping.

To hire the kiln for a 24 hour firing will cost £375.00 + vat.

If thicker glass is used and a longer firing time is required then the price will be charged accordingly.
Please note that this price is for kiln hire only and not labour or technical assistance. We are open for bussines 8.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Weekends can be arranged by prior consultation.
Kiln hire is subject to availability.

Please contact Les Leeson on: 0208 5072455 or les@paragonglass.co.uk

<<<<<snap

Maybe this will be another option for you.

It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Dave Pascoe

Thank you.

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Thanks Paul, I`ll check it out. It seems like it could be a good back up plan. Thanks again, dave