Noodle Project in Fall 2003 GPQ - Snowflake

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

indigo

Noodle Project in Fall 2003 GPQ - Snowflake

Post by indigo »

Brand new to the list and also to fusing. I've worked in stained glass for years and thought I would give this a try. I went through the archieves and see that someone was having a problem with this project (I believe the name was gocoach). I'm wondering if you were able to get this project to completion successfully (firing temp issue) and if there is anything I should be aware of before starting my first ever fusing project. I do have books on order, but of course can't wait.

One additional question on working with these Noodles, they seem so thin, do you cut them with a standard glass cutter, just score and snap, or would a glass saw be a better choice for speed and accuracy? No laughing!!!!! we all have to start somewhere. Or is there a better way to cut them?

Indigo - Ancient Tree Studio
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Noodle Project in Fall 2003 GPQ - Snowflake

Post by Brad Walker »

indigo wrote:One additional question on working with these Noodles, they seem so thin, do you cut them with a standard glass cutter, just score and snap
Score and snap. They cut easily.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hi indigo, I've made one snowflake so far but cut enough noodles to make six more. The 1st turned out nice but I believe the temp. mentioned in the magazine is a bit high. Be very patient with the construction as it is very time consuming. Just score & break the noodles to get the exact sizes (The Scoreboard helped tons w/this), then place ea. size noodle in separate containers (& mark ea. size) to keep them separated. Then using a sm. pair of needle nose pliers place ea. size of noodle together.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Indigo,

I haven't used noodles but I have used a stringers a lot. One of the problems with stringers is to prevent them from rolling around on the project, or kiln shelf. What I do to prevent this is to grind one side of the stringer flat. To do this press the stringer against a grinder bit with the thumb of the left hand while drawing the stringer along the bit with the right hand. Do the entire stinger prior to cutting the pieces to length. The flattened stringers are less likely to roll around.

This might help with noodles as well.

Cheers,

Bob
indigo

Post by indigo »

Hi Scotty - thanks so much for the information. Do you recall how high you fired? I hope to be giving this a shot today - very comforting to know that there are people out there to help if things go wrong. Thanks again and wish me luck! :D

SAReed

Post by SAReed »

Bob wrote:Hi Indigo,

I haven't used noodles but I have used a stringers a lot. One of the problems with stringers is to prevent them from rolling around on the project, or kiln shelf. What I do to prevent this is to grind one side of the stringer flat. To do this press the stringer against a grinder bit with the thumb of the left hand while drawing the stringer along the bit with the right hand. Do the entire stinger prior to cutting the pieces to length. The flattened stringers are less likely to roll around.

This might help with noodles as well.

Cheers,

Bob
What a great idea, Bob. I had the rolling problem a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed the piece with SuperSpray and while it was still wet I put the stinger on. It worked well, but I'll try your idea next.

Indigo - Good Luck!
Stacey
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Stacey,

Yeah the rolling stringer problem is a problem. The problem with all glues is that they burn off way before fusing temperatures are reached. Even slight air currents caused by raising the kiln lid can cause stringers to shift.

The flattened stringer has worked well for me.

Cheers,

Bob
steve_hiskey

Post by steve_hiskey »

I have not done the project you are talking about... but with bullseye, at 1500+ degrees, you will get "spread" and then "shrink" when the temp goes back down. This leads to "puddling" where the glass close to each other attracts and draws glass from the stuff it is connected to.

So, if you want flat, and want to lessen the amount of randomness, you can go to 1400 or 1450 and set for a while rather than smoke it at 1550.

see what other people say, but I would try

300dph to 1400, hold 20
9000dph to 960, hold 45
60dph to 720, hold 0

Steve
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Re: cutting noodles - if you have a mosaic nipper, it works really well for noodles.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Lynne - you're absolutely right! I discovered this yesterday and you can mark and just fly through those noodles. Thank you for the tip! Sounds like you've worked with the noodles before - any tips on firing?
[img::]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscDogrun.gif[/img]