New Kiln Purchase Decision

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

glassart

New Kiln Purchase Decision

Post by glassart »

Hello. I'm a new to this group and recently finished my first fusing class. I have been researching kilns and have basically narrowed it down to a couple (Paragon and Ken Jen Kilns). The size I am looking for will accept glass plate sizes up to 12" square. My question is..... what is the difference betwen an kiln that heats up to 1700 degrees and one that heats to 1800 degrees (other than the obvious heat increase:). Why would I need one to heat to 1800 degrees for fusing, slumping, etc.
Thank you in advance for your help/advice, experience on this. [/code]
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

If all other things are equal, like insulation material, cubic footage, element placement and how it loads then the only difference may be in how quickly it heats. The kiln rated for a higher temp. may have more watts per cubic foot, and therefore may have the ability to ramp up faster. The practical difference is most likely not significant or useful. Seldom does the work require us to heat quickly. It's more that we need to heat slowly and cool slowly, and the max. temp rating is not important to those issues. I see it as similar to buying a car that can go 100mph versus one that goes 80. Yeah, it can go faster, but will you use that ability. I would focus more on servicability and ease of loading.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: New Kiln Purchase Decision

Post by Brad Walker »

glassart wrote:Hello. I'm a new to this group and recently finished my first fusing class. I have been researching kilns and have basically narrowed it down to a couple (Paragon and Ken Jen Kilns). The size I am looking for will accept glass plate sizes up to 12" square. My question is..... what is the difference betwen an kiln that heats up to 1700 degrees and one that heats to 1800 degrees (other than the obvious heat increase:). Why would I need one to heat to 1800 degrees for fusing, slumping, etc.
In this case, I suspect the difference in the two kiln's actual heating capabilities is negligible and is mostly a matter of Paragon advertising that their kilns heat to 1700 and Jen-Ken advertising 1800. In practice, you rarely (probably never) need to fire a glass kiln above 1700 (or above 1500 if you stick to fusing and avoid things like combing and pot melts).
glassart

Post by glassart »

WOW! That's great info. Thank you so much. Now, off to research the best place to purchase one.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I see you're in the Sunshine State. Jen-Kens are made in Lakeland, Florida. Dealing with Mike & Randy is a real pleasure.

Judy
glassart

Post by glassart »

Yes, I'm actually up here in the panhandle (Destin area) near Pensacola. Have been here for 3 yrs now and love the area. I'm looking into the Jen-Ken newest model right now. Received an email and info from Randy at JenKen. I think the model will do what I want for now and hopefully, the future. This is a great forum. Thanks for the advice. I look forward to learning more as I advance into the world of warm glass!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have had 2 JenKens and love them both. Randy is a great person to deal with. One piece of advice: buy a little bigger (cubic foot wise) than you think you need, because you will use it. :D
Chip
Micah 6.8
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Chip is right ....buy as big as you can ( and afford) You'll be glad you did and you will use the space easily.

I wish I knew about this board for advice when I bought my kiln (Paragon Fusion 7) I wish I bought a bigger one already..... The biggest piece I can do is MAX 12in.

Good luck with your search :)

Me Kim
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

When you outgrow a kiln, the old small one always comes in handy. I still use the kiln I started with almost every day, even though it's dwarfed by my big kilns. It's great for small and quick test runs, and for warming hands on cold upstate mornings.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Tony, are you getting this blizzard in Ithaca? Man, we are getting blasted. :D
Chip
Micah 6.8
Dayle Ann

Post by Dayle Ann »

Another newbie here. I've been reading this board for weeks now-- what a feast.

I am a former potter who always considered clay just a place to put glaze. The first time I saw glass fusing, I knew that is what I want to do. Actually, I went bonkers. I just went through the kiln selection process too, with some input from my daughter, who is a professional glass artist, though mostly flameworking. She's the one who got me fired up about this. (Sorry for the pun... it gets worse.)

I had also narrowed kiln choices down to Paragon Fusion 7 and Jen-Ken Maxi-fuse. Decided on Jen-Ken.

The kiln will be a good size for me while I gain experience with various glasses and techniques, and develop style. As someone else pointed out, then I can get a larger kiln and still have this one to use for tests and smaller projects.

Now anxiously awaiting delivery. Like a kid waiting for Santa. Design ideas spilling out of my brain, can hardly wait to start testing.

All my friends and family are excited and encouraging about me doing this. People are already asking me if I am going to teach classes. I tell them, sure, as soon as I figure out what I am doing. :roll:

Personally, I think this whole thing just proves that I am certifiable. Though that awareness doesn't seem to have kept me from leaping in...

Dayle Ann

PS: Snow here in Vermont hasn't caught up with you guys further south yet, but we're working on it. Plow has been though twice already.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Welcome Dayle Ann! The plow's been through here about 20 times! :D And they are saying more to come. :shock:
Chip
Micah 6.8