BE avocado..

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

BE avocado..

Post by lauren »

i just discovered this glass and am convinced it's the greatest color in the whole wide world. of course, it's discontinued! two questions: 1) anybody have any they'd like to sell me? 2) does anybody know of a similar color? i'm not really familiar with uroboros' colors, looking at their catalogue online the hunter green or sage looks like it may be similar, but i can't really tell. any opinions?

graciassss

peace
- lauren
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Hi Lauren,

Since Bullseye has never made a color named "Avocado", I'm at a loss here... do you have a style number? Is there a chance it was a curious (i.e., off-sample) color? Is it transparent or opaque?

If we'd ever known we'd made "the greatest color in the whole wide world" we'd surely have tried to make it again! (Much less discontinued it)

-Lani
The Hobbyist

Discontinued colors

Post by The Hobbyist »

Lani,

Since the topic has come up...

What about BE 1411 my Mom's favorite color and BE 0116 - 31?

I have managed to find a supply of 1411 thanks to Sara. Do you know why BE discontinued making it?

I acquired a half sheet of the Tourquoise Blue Irid from a fellow on eBay. I made a nice piece with some of it and liked it a lot. When I went to order some more I was amazed to find that BE doesn't make it. Did they ever? BE doesn't list any opal irids except white and black. Did they ever make them and if so why did they stop?

The Hobbyist...................................Jim
lauren

Post by lauren »

i did a little research and noticed that no one ever made any mention of be avocado, so i don't know. my friend said it was called avocado and that it was discontinued a year or two ago. that's all i had to go on..

joanna at BE pm'd me saying olive green 0212 may be a substitute. i thought olive green was only a transparent?! if there is an olive green opal then i would bet the farm that that's what this is. i'm very excited because i've had to make do fusing thin white to the olive green and calling that an opal. lol.

...if there is an olive green opal - my catalogue makes no mention of it. am i behind the times? or is it just not in the catalogue? are there more colors that aren't in the catalogue?????

thanks!

peace
- l
Mary Kay Nitchie

BE avocado

Post by Mary Kay Nitchie »

Dear Lauren--

For Olive Opal--we have this around the factory on occasion and I am happy to tell you that we plan to add this to the regular product line in Spring 2004. Order
0212-30F for 3mm Double-rolled fusible, and
0212-50F for Thin fusible.

Be patient with your Bullseye dealer--we have not asked them to stock it yet. But they might appreciate knowing that you would like to have it.

Dear Jim--

Re 1411: it is discontinued for technical reasons and we don't plan to bring it back. 1215 is the new Light Pink Striker and it is lovely. Available in 3mm, Thin, 3mm irid and Thin irid. Has your mom tried it?

The only opals that Bullseye iridizes for stock glass are 0100 black and 0113 white. The black 0100 irid is also available in reeded, accordion, soft ripple and herringbone ripple textures.

For Double-rolled sheets, order
0100-31F for black irid double-rolled 3mm fusible and
0113-31F for white double-rolled 3mm fusible sheets.

For Thin sheets: order
0100-51F for black irid fusible and
0113-51F for white irid fusible
The 0100 Thin irid sheets also can be ordered with reeded or accordion texture.

Irids on colored opal are only made occasionally and involve large special orders (full case quantity or more) for a single customer.

If you like opal irids, we suggest putting a clear irid sheet on top of the opal. That strategy isn't the solution for everyone's work but it will work for some applications.

Thanks to both of you for your interest!
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

The 1215 Light Pink Striker is very nice but a special order for UK users. It's a lovely cranberry kind of tint.

It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Paul, sorry to hear that a standard product has to be special ordered. Who's your supplier?
-Lani