Fire polish after slump?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cherylka

Fire polish after slump?

Post by cherylka »

I just finished slumping my second bowl and plate. And I really like the way they look. Except, there are still some grinding marks left from cleaning a few spots before firing.

Can I fire polish the pieces to remove the marks?

Would it be better to hand-polish with dremel?

If I do fire-polish, should I leave the pieces in the molds, or just on the washed shelf.

Thanks,
Cheryl
charlie

Post by charlie »

do you mean marks on the edge or the surface?

you have to heat in decreasing temps. fuse, firepolish, slump. if you do a firepolish, which in my kiln is 1325-1350, on a shelf, you'll lose the slump because it'll be flattened. if you do it in the mold, you chance having the glass flow to the bottom of the mold.

the bottom line is that you most likely have to hand work it now.
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Charlies right! I had a bowl that was great except I thought it should be a bit more shiney (is that a word?), any way, my bowl is now a needlely mess that distorted the pattern on the way down. I'll be making it's replacement this weekend. :roll:
It was a good learning experience!
Stephie
cherylka

Post by cherylka »

Thanks. That is what I thought.

c
cherylka

What do you use to polish

Post by cherylka »

I have never tried to polish glass before.

I'm using a dremel with a buffing wheel and polishing compound. Is there a better option?

Thanks.
c
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Buy a selection of diamond hand pads. Dremel would take forever.
cherylka

Post by cherylka »

Thanks for the fast answer. But I am a real newbie at this. Can you be a little more specific for me? Are we talking about a rubber holder that fits a special type of sand paper? Or is this glass-specific.

If I go to my Spectrum dealer will he know what it is? Or can I go to Home Depot for it.

Thanks again.
c
Brock

Post by Brock »

Paul Tarlow

Re: Fire polish after slump?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I've had luck heating the piece up to just-below-slump -- then rushing to fire polish temps and not staying there long.

The idea is that if you are above the annealing range you are safe having unequal temps in the glass. If you kiln heats fast enough you can get the surface of the glass to fire polish temps before a critical amount of the glass gets to slump. You'll probably want to crash cool from fire polish temp down.

Its tricky and I wouldn't do it on a piece you're not willing to lose. My experience is that the thicker the piece the more likely success.

- Paul
cherylka wrote:I just finished slumping my second bowl and plate. And I really like the way they look. Except, there are still some grinding marks left from cleaning a few spots before firing.

Can I fire polish the pieces to remove the marks?

Would it be better to hand-polish with dremel?

If I do fire-polish, should I leave the pieces in the molds, or just on the washed shelf.

Thanks,
Cheryl
cherylka

Post by cherylka »

Thanks Brock.

Do you have a recommendation for mesh versus resin, or any of the grits that are better for glass? Do they last a long time, or should I be ordering by the dozen?

c
Brock

Post by Brock »

cherylka wrote:Thanks Brock.

Do you have a recommendation for mesh versus resin, or any of the grits that are better for glass? Do they last a long time, or should I be ordering by the dozen?

c
Sorry, you're on your own, I don't use them. Tried them, too much work.
Others can tell you more, but you'll need a series of pads, from coarse to fine. Try something like, 80, 220, 400, 800, 3500. Brock
gone

Re: Fire polish after slump?

Post by gone »

Paul Tarlow wrote:I've had luck heating the piece up to just-below-slump -- then rushing to fire polish temps and not staying there long.

The idea is that if you are above the annealing range you are safe having unequal temps in the glass. If you kiln heats fast enough you can get the surface of the glass to fire polish temps before a critical amount of the glass gets to slump. You'll probably want to crash cool from fire polish temp down.

Its tricky and I wouldn't do it on a piece you're not willing to lose. My experience is that the thicker the piece the more likely success.

- Paul
I agree, Paul. Isn't that Brian's ZapnBlastem technology? It also helps if you have a very shallow mold. I usually use the diamond pads first to about a 400 grit.