new bubbles?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cherylka

new bubbles?

Post by cherylka »

I've read all of the postings on bubbles, and haven't seen this one.

We made coasters. A flat piece of colored cathedral with accent bits and pieces and a clear sheet on top.

I fused with a 50dph to squeeze the bubbles.

what we got is long narrow bubbles along the inside edges of dichroic glass strips. None elsewhere, and none on the outside of the strips.

I was thinking about two options:

Cutting the cover sheet into two pieces.
Adding a chip matching the base color that is thicker than the dichro next to it to keep the edge from dropping as fast.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
c
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Since so very many variables interact in kiln fired glass it is hard to offer suggestions without more specifics about your project. Information about glass size, shape, thickness of components, type of glass, type of kiln, full firing schedule are some variables that are needed for others to understand your situation and offer ideas. One thought I have is could you move the position of the dichro strips so that they radiate out from the center of the coaster instead of being parallel to a square edge of the coaster without ruining the design? If so you would present the narrow end of the strip to the wave face of the top layer of glass as it falls over them instead of the longer side of the strip and thus should get at least smaller bubbles if not eliminate them. Also a photo posted to a free image hosting site set for everyone able to view it and a link to the site like http://photos.yahoo.com/tomwhite2 will help others by allowing them to see the problem. Most of my pictures there were made on my computer scanner. Give us a little more information and I feel sure someone will offer something to help.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
cherylka

Post by cherylka »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take some pictures and post them.