melting wine bottles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

potter

melting wine bottles

Post by potter »

I've done 3 successful loads of wine bottles but the last one I fired, half of them were broken. One was on top shelf, the others were in the middle shelf. The bottom shelf was fine. I followed the suggested firing schedule in the archives. Any thoughts on what went wrong? Also, some of the bottles have little lumps and below the neck has a big bubble.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Is there a chance that there was some moisture left in the bottle when you put them in the kiln? Moisture = blow out
Most of the bottles I've done will have that small bubble just below the neck. No way to avoid it as far as I know.
Hope that helps
Diane
Dani

Post by Dani »

Now here's a really stupid-o question. I've melted a few kiln-loads for friends and thought it was a pretty neat trick that little bubble that was a perfect little "leg" and balanced the bottle bottom. I have both of those face-down with the flat side up for a staight, smooth, and perfect cheese tray. Then I found out that other people were using them bottom up! How are they supposed to go? Is there a definitive answer?? :shock: