raining crud

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

scooter riegelsperger

raining crud

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

I just got a new jenken oval 13 kiln & it's great, except for one thing. it seems to drop alot of crud from the top during firing. I vacuum it with a brush attatchment after each fire but by the time i'm ready to close it up, it's already raining again. Is this common with a new kiln? Will it get better? Should I keep vacuuming it or am I making it worse by brushing it each time? Is there a limit to how many questions I can ask? If a tree falls on me in the forest, will anybody hear me scream.
THANKS, ROBERT
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have 2 Jenkens and neither of them "rain crud." I would call Randy down in Florida and ask about this. The folks at Jenken are wonderful as far as support goes.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

I have had the same problem. I understand how you feel... that bothered me too.
They said it is normal at the beginning because the coils vibrate more. It takes 4 to 5 firings to return to normal. Just vaccum very well between firings.
Since I was planning to use a fiberboard, I used those firings to prepare it and prefire other stuff. No glass in the kiln.

Hope that helps.
Patricia
Catharine Newell

Re: raining crud

Post by Catharine Newell »

scooterr309 wrote:I just got a new jenken oval 13 kiln & it's great, except for one thing. it seems to drop alot of crud from the top during firing. I vacuum it with a brush attatchment after each fire but by the time i'm ready to close it up, it's already raining again. Is this common with a new kiln? Will it get better? Should I keep vacuuming it or am I making it worse by brushing it each time? Is there a limit to how many questions I can ask? If a tree falls on me in the forest, will anybody hear me scream.
THANKS, ROBERT

Robert,

I would suggest that you not make actual contact with the lid when you vacuum. Just vacuum an inch or so away from the surface, using a non-brush attachment.

Catharine