glass table top Q?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rosanna gusler

glass table top Q?

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi all, i am going to make some glass table tops. 20" diameter is the biggest i can do in my kiln. i am going to do some rounds, some half rounds and some 1/4 rounds. my blacksmith friend is going to make the table bottoms. what sort of thickness do you think will work? 1/4", 1/2"? some will be a wall mount/shelf/table thingy. opinions? thanks, rosanna
Brock

Post by Brock »

I'd go with 3/8" minimum. Build in some shock absorption, even bump-ons will help. Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:I'd go with 3/8" minimum. Build in some shock absorption, even bump-ons will help. Brock
I totally agree. I love 3/8". It is thick enough to be strong and look beefy. 1/2" is also good. 3/4" works especially with exposed edges, but is heavy.

I would look in to black double sided VHB tape for sticking the glass to the steel.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

ok, thanks. 3/8" for the first go round. rosanna
Ross

Post by Ross »

Where does a person get black double sided VHB tape? What does VHB stand for? I've never heard of it!
Image Ross
BobB

vhb tape

Post by BobB »

we use it and get it from a local distributor called plus star @ 972-406-1300. Keep in mind this is industrial strength tape. They use it to build Mac trucks. once it's down you will NOT get the tabletop off the frame!!!!
VHB-Very High Bonding? Just a guess.

I think this is the stuff Bert is talking about.

BobB
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Ross wrote:Where does a person get black double sided VHB tape? What does VHB stand for? I've never heard of it!
3M sells VHB tape. The foamy double stick stuff you stick things on other things with.

When you go to buy it just act cool and tell the guy behind the counter you want a roll of Black VHB tape. You don't have to know what VHB stands for, chances are the guy behind the counter doesn't know either. I don't even know if 3M knows what VHB stands for, they don't talk about it much on their web site.

Maybe we should have a contest and see what we can come up for VHB.

I cast my vote for "very high bond"
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Very high bond it is. This stuff is used in place of rivets on airplane wings. 3M makes as well as other less expensive manufacturers. I buy it at CR Laurence. I'm sure it comes from many other places. It comes in clear, white, and black and in various thicknesses and widths. I've been advised that the black and white stick a bit better than the clear.

The smoother the surface, the higher the bond actually is.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Would this tape work for attaching findings to pendants or pins?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Lynn Bishop wrote:Would this tape work for attaching findings to pendants or pins?
Hmmm . . . no one is responding, I guess no one has tried it.

Maybe it's too thick, or requires weight or pressure to set. Brock
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The magnetic clasps on my nametags are held on with VHB. and I would hate to try to pull one off. They are really stuck on there.

I would imagine that it isn't used much for findings because 1) it's expensive... approaching $20/roll for ½" wide tape and 2) most people don't know about it or where to get it.

It's available from McMaster-Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com on page 3175

I believe that I've seen findings with double stick foam tape on them, probably at Michael's. That's not an endorsement, but just to point out that someone has tried it before.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun