sagging element emergency care?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Leslie Ihde

sagging element emergency care?

Post by Leslie Ihde »

The top element of my evenheat kiln is sagging. I have never done this, but I believe there are pins I can use to keep it in it's channel. I will call evenheat on Monday, but is there anything I can do of an emergency nature to use my kiln this weekend? I'd like to finish some projects.

Thanks in advance,
board-dependant
Leslie
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yup. Just use it until you can get some pins. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Thanks Brock- a very efficient solution!
DonMcClennen

Sagging elements

Post by DonMcClennen »

You don't need special pins. Just cut and bend some of your own from new element coil...
"The Glassman"
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Leslie-

I am having the same problem with my Evenheat big oval. I emailed them about the problem and they sent pins for a fix and suggested using needle nose plyers to pinch the elements together to shorten them. But, I was looking around their site and noticed that the lids on the ovals now have zig zagged channels. I am assuming that this is a new design to combat the sagging problem and I asked in my email but got no response on that one.

I am going to try to see if I can get a new lid with this new design at some point because the pins in my experience are prone to causing sifting and occasionally slipping out and fusing onto the glass. So, I'll keep trying to get answer from Evenheat about replacing the lid and post if I find anything out.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Lisa, thank you for your reply. As to the earlier suggestion of using a piece of element, I don't have any pieces of element, but glad to know it can be done. I guess gravity is trouble sooner or later for kiln elements in a lid, but I don't see why some sort of metal grid couldn't be build into the design to prevent this. It's frustrating.
Leslie
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

Leslie,
At my local potters center, I bought a little pack of pins and a jar of kiln cement to keep on hand. Very inexpensive. The kiln cement is great for replacing little piece of fire brick that you may accidentally knock off in your excitement about one of your fantastic fusing projects. (yes, I did exactly that!)
lohman

Post by lohman »

you can also buy nichrome wire from your local fusing supply store or ceramics supply store. get the heavier gauge and cut and bend it into pins.
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

I wondered about using nichrome wire- I think I have some of that. Any trick to putting it in such that it doesn't fall on your art?
Leslie
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I would suggest you push the holding wire in at least 2" horizontaly rather than vertically to help work against gravity.
"The Glassman"
Hohenshelt

Post by Hohenshelt »

Nichrome wire is fine to use as pins for the elements. Nichrome is good to 2000 F. Put the pins at a 45 degree angle so gravity does not work as well on them.

John S. Hohenshelt
Paragon Industries
John S. Hohenshelt
Leslie Ihde

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Thanks to the several generous people who replied to my post. I feel pretty confident now. 8) Leslie
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

More on this topic...I have an element that has crept out of its channel in the side of my 'round' Paragon. The wire is particularly stiff and thick and I have not been able to stretch or pinch it, even while warm, to get it back in the channel. It's just hanging out there. I have heard of a special plier that is used for chain or elements. Is this what I need? Or do you guys have a better idea for me? I just can't budge the shape of the thing to get it back in the channel - Barbara