Elmers polyurethane glue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Elmers polyurethane glue

Post by candala »

Does anyone have positive or negative experiences using this glue to glue on findings? Where do you find this glue?
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Home Depot type store, or preferably a good local hardware store will have it, or some type of polyurethane glue. Any brand will work. Pro is the bonding strength and the variety of materials it will work with. Con is that it does not cure clear, but brown, and the cure time is hours long. It also expands when curing which can cause problems if you don't account for it. Also is a mess to clean up if it gets on anything you don't want to be on, like skin.
rodney

Post by rodney »

the stuff i use is THE WELDER,,,you can get it at walmart, it works great for me,,,, i tried e6000, which was a disaster,,,THE WELDER,,,,make sure you are in a well ventilated room,,,, rodney
Dani

Post by Dani »

Tony is right, it's rather ugly and it's hard to control the expansion. It works really well, but on pins, I wouldn't use it again unless I was adding a little swatch of deerskin or something to cover the glue. Plus it's sort of an ugly yellow color. I used the Elmer's.
watershed

Post by watershed »

Gorilla glue is also PolyUrethane. Does great for glueing styro together to get a bigger piece. Must be clamped in this app.

Greg