thin fire shelp paper problems

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Doris Sisk

thin fire shelp paper problems

Post by Doris Sisk »

I've scanned the sight for some info, but haven't found anything yet.
Recently the thin fire shelf paper I use separates under the piece of glass I am fusing, causing a vein or scarring of the glass. Anyone know why this is happening, and more importantly, how do I make it stop?
Thanks!
Brock

Re: thin fire shelp paper problems

Post by Brock »

Doris wrote:I've scanned the sight for some info, but haven't found anything yet.
Recently the thin fire shelf paper I use separates under the piece of glass I am fusing, causing a vein or scarring of the glass. Anyone know why this is happening, and more importantly, how do I make it stop?
Thanks!
A the glass moves it pulls the thin fire with it.

Enough movement = torn paper.

Avoid it by using kiln wash. Brock
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Doris,

Bullseye's new thinfire is reputed not to tear during firing... important if you're firing on a fibre shelf and can't use kilnwash.

Catharine
Doris Sisk

Post by Doris Sisk »

i guess it would help if i could spell "shelf paper"!
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

New paper has negligable shrinkage. Been using it for months now, and the days of seperation and tearing under the glass are gone.
Doris Sisk

Post by Doris Sisk »

Thanks for your answers. This problem is new to me though and I have been using thinfire shelf paper for quite awhile. I've been too lazy to use kilnwash and maintain it. Any ideas as to why I am just recently having this problem? Different batch of paper maybe? Anyway, I will start doing kiln wash and look into the new Bullseye paper. Thanks.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Are you using bigger pieces. The shrinkage is proportional to the size, so the bigger the sheets, the more it contracts. When I was using the old paper, there was not any noticable variation from roll to roll, and I used it for many years. I suppose it could be the paper, but I never experienced that. Only solution I see for you, is to cut the paper into smaller pieces, and overlap them under the glass. You will get seam lines, but if your glass is dense and the show side is up, it may not matter.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Catharine Newell wrote:

Bullseye's new thinfire is reputed not to tear during firing... important if you're firing on a fibre shelf and can't use kilnwash.
I've certainly had tearing with the new stuff on pieces over 30cm square. But I've also found I can reuse it 4 or 5 times, so I guess you win some you lose some. (I didn't use the old stuff a lot as it created so much dust on the first use).
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I'm surprised to hear that Peg. I am on my third roll of the new, and go to sizes many times larger than that, with no tearing. The re use aspect is nice if you are really careful, but it sure does plug up the Hepa filter fast, and I now have to be careful about bubbles again. Over all though, the trade offs are worth it.
PaulS

Re: thin fire shelp paper problems

Post by PaulS »

Doris wrote:I've scanned the sight for some info, but haven't found anything yet.
Thanks!
There is some information in there somewhere Doris because I was a regular contributor commenting on it. It used to be a pain trying to adjust working practices for it.

I found the old stuff is only good for anything up about eight inches square. Bigger than that and the paper cracked apart underneath the glass, luckily the shelves were primed all the time anyway. Just as well.

I used the shelf paper in the first place because I wasn't contented with the rough finish that the (sprayed on) shelf primer was leaving on the underside. I have to say it wasn't Bullseye.

Nowadays I only use the shelf primer made by Bullseye. It's good stuff, but you go with whatever you are happy with and what works for you.

The next generation of shelf paper is supposed to be more stable, as Tony already mentioned.

Sounds like you got a batch of the old type of shelf paper Doris. Suppliers have to use out their old stock somewhere, I guess.

Wouldn't it be great if they made the new type with a colourant, so we can tell the difference? Or is that too easy?
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!