Kiln wash problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bruce Larion

Kiln wash problem

Post by Bruce Larion »

I just recently purchased a BE ceramic ball surface mold. When I tried to apply kiln wash I had spots where the wash would not adhere. I use BE wash applying several thin layers with a sprayer. I have always used this sprayer for my shelf and other molds and it works great. I cleaned the mold and tried again with the same results. I cleaned it again and lightly sanded, cleaned and tried again---same results. When I took a close look at the mold, the "spots" that would not take wash are very glossy compared to the rest of the surface. I called BE and they said sometimes it just happens and that it would not bother my pieces when I slump because the temp is not that hot.
Being fairly new yet I have no reason to not believe the advise but finally had a successful full fuse on a new design and trying to avoid it being ruined during the slump if possible. Has anyone had a similar issue with a mold and am I safe in using it this way :?: They are 3 spots that don't seem to adhere. 2 dime size and 1 golf ball sized areas. Looking for advice--to slump or not to slump-that is my question. :?:
Bruce
jim simmons

Re: Kiln wash problem

Post by jim simmons »

dadll wrote:Looking for advice--to slump or not to slump-that is my question. :?:
Slump
jim
Peg

Re: Kiln wash problem

Post by Peg »

dadll wrote: When I tried to apply kiln wash I had spots where the wash would not adhere.
I think it's just grease - probably fingerprints - and it will burn off the first time you use the mould.

Peg