S'plain this one Lucy

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

S'plain this one Lucy

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I have two fused test pieces. The first is a combination of BE 1120 (yellow transparent) and BE 1401 (crystal clear). The second is a combination BE 1114 (BE royal blue transparent) and BE 1401 (crystal clear). In both pieces the clear acts to "thin out" the color density.

When I hold the two pieces (stacked) up to the light as expected there's lots of green light.

What I didn't expect -- and is clearly there -- are areas of deep redish/orange.

I went back and checked Mouse Paint*. According to it, there shouldn't be any red tones.

Wuz up?

- Paul

* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 1071622898
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Magic? Could it be magic?

I had something similar happen about 9 years ago. I made a bowl by stacking sheets of transparent red, yellow and orange together. I was trying to make persimmon color that way. Much to my surprise, from the top, the bowl looked green. From underneath it was a deep red. Where did the green come from? Magic. It must be magic.

Geri
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Color theory with glass doesn't work the same way as it does with pigments.

I vote magic.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: S'plain this one Lucy

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Paul Tarlow wrote:I have two fused test pieces. The first is a combination of BE 1120 (yellow transparent) and BE 1401 (crystal clear). The second is a combination BE 1114 (BE royal blue transparent) and BE 1401 (crystal clear). In both pieces the clear acts to "thin out" the color density.

When I hold the two pieces (stacked) up to the light as expected there's lots of green light.

What I didn't expect -- and is clearly there -- are areas of deep redish/orange.

I went back and checked Mouse Paint*. According to it, there shouldn't be any red tones.

Wuz up?

- Paul

2 make the colour the glass probably got a lot of other colours in

Also

U might look at the way a tv works

Cyan magenta + other

A bit weird these colours comming from the overlaps

Also a few glass colours make a different colour in transmited light rather than reflected

Like the Lysergis cup in the V+A or British Museum

Brian
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul,

There may be a chemical interaction going on... maybe copper and sulfur or cobalt and sulfur.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Paul Tarlow wrote: clip

Wuz up?

- Paul

What color light are you looking at? Is the light full sun spectrum? You're just bending some light that bullseye can't predict for you. I'm not surprised. I'm not even going to pull out my sample set and check your colors out (until later today). So is this mouse book any good?
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Tony Smith wrote:Paul,

There may be a chemical interaction going on... maybe copper and sulfur or cobalt and sulfur.

Tony
nope -- I haven't fused these layers -- just held them together in front of the light
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Don Burt wrote:So is this mouse book any good?
Its a kids book for teaching about colors -- and its wonderful. Was one of my kids favorites when they were littler people.
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Don Burt wrote: What color light are you looking at? Is the light full sun spectrum? You're just bending some light that bullseye can't predict for you. I'm not surprised. I'm not even going to pull out my sample set and check your colors out (until later today). So is this mouse book any good?
I think we're getting close with this. I'd bet some wavelength is being reflected in the combination that you wouldn't expect looking at the individual colors. You know, something about the whole not being equal to the sum of the components or something like that.
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Joanne Owsley wrote:
Don Burt wrote: What color light are you looking at? Is the light full sun spectrum? You're just bending some light that bullseye can't predict for you. I'm not surprised. I'm not even going to pull out my sample set and check your colors out (until later today). So is this mouse book any good?
I think we're getting close with this. I'd bet some wavelength is being reflected in the combination that you wouldn't expect looking at the individual colors. You know, something about the whole not being equal to the sum of the components or something like that.
Add this to the mystery:

1) The effect was the same under both incandescent and fluorescent lights

2) The effect appeared when the two pieces were held together. Once fused, the red is gone.

There may be other variables that I'm missing -- going to try and reproduce this.

- Paul
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

I Googled 'light refraction' and came up with many. This is just one.

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/physics/u3c12phy.html

This is an interesting conversation and made me think of old opalescent glass. It's just white, but in certain lights you can see glints of orange and reds and purples. Like magic. :lol:
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Paul Tarlow wrote: Add this to the mystery:

1) The effect was the same under both incandescent and fluorescent lights

2) The effect appeared when the two pieces were held together. Once fused, the red is gone.

There may be other variables that I'm missing -- going to try and reproduce this.

- Paul
I fooled around with those colors in my sample set and couldn't get the red to appear. I only had one piece of clear 1140 though.
I think Paul's just hallucinating.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Don Burt wrote:I think Paul's just hallucinating.
Not true. I even showed it to my 6 foot rabbit friend Harvey and he sees it too!