First Kiln purchase recomendations

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

First Kiln purchase recomendations

Post by Lauralei »

Hi,
I'm new to fusing and have been researching kilns. I plan to put it in my basement and have a door opening restriction at 26" - I had hoped to get a Paragon GL24ADTSD but it won't fit.. Does anyone have recomendations on brands and models for a first kiln that can support larger size pieces? thanks-
Lauralei
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

You could have one custom built to your specs if you live in an area where someone will do that for you.

Jack
Carol

Post by Carol »

If it's only an inch or two too large you may be able to have a carpenter come and remove the casing temporarily, then replace it once the kiln is in.

Carol
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Lorelei--- I think that if you turn that kiln sideways it will fit through the doorway.
Cynthia

Re: First Kiln purchase recomendations

Post by Cynthia »

Lauralei wrote:Hi,
I'm new to fusing and have been researching kilns. I plan to put it in my basement and have a door opening restriction at 26" - I had hoped to get a Paragon GL24ADTSD but it won't fit.. Does anyone have recomendations on brands and models for a first kiln that can support larger size pieces? thanks-
Shop at Center DeVerre online (one of the sponsors here) and check out the outside dimensions of all of his medium sized kilns. You can get a Jen-Ken 24 or 28" that if put on its side would go through your narrow door. I say that because I have a Jen-Ken 24" kiln and I just measured it... Maybe the Paragon lid or door can come off and it will be small enough to fit through...Marty at Center DeVerre can answer these kinds of questions and he is more than happy to help you sort through your options and restrictions. I think you can probably get the kiln you want, you'll just have to get creative with either the kiln, the door opening or both. :)
Lauralei

thanks!

Post by Lauralei »

I'm going to look into these suggestions! I know I can't open the doorway as removing the frame still wouldn't give me enough clearance and Paragon's specs say that you need 33" clear... but I didn't ask if the door could come off - I;ll try that and look into the jen. I don't know anybody that could build one around here to order - but thanks for the thought. But if anyone know of a company that does custom kilns - that might be a good option..
thanks L
Lauralei
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

But if anyone know of a company that does custom kilns
We often build custom kilns. We are located in Portland, Oregon.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I bought a Jen Ken 24" last year and had to put it in a room with a very narrow doorway. We tipped it sideways to get it through the doorway. It worked fine.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
charlie

Re: First Kiln purchase recomendations

Post by charlie »

Lauralei wrote:Hi,
first, check that the wall isn't load bearing. if not, take the sawsall out for a drive and just cut a bigger door. get a carpenter to come back and frame it out for a 36" door, or 2 30" side by side, which is what i did.

if it is load bearing, have the carpenter put in a header before removing the doorframe.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Clifford Ross wrote:Lorelei--- I think that if you turn that kiln sideways it will fit through the doorway.
Actually it won't Clifford. My basement door opening is 29", and the 24LGAD just barely fit through, on it's side and with the door handle removed. Unless she can remove the door frame, Lauralei's out of luck.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Hohenshelt

Post by Hohenshelt »

Thank you for your interest in our GL24 kiln. It will not fit through a 26" door even if the door is removed. However, if you remain interested in a square front loading glass kiln, we have the smaller GL18 kiln. It is 18" x18" x 13" high and it will fit through the 26" door. Please call us if you have any questions.

Also, I do not believe you will be disappointed with a Jen-Ken kiln. They make a quality product. I hope you are very successful in working with warm glass.

John S. Hohenshelt
Paragon Industries
John S. Hohenshelt