gold leaf question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

twinkler2

gold leaf question

Post by twinkler2 »

Hi gang of glass

I've been checking out the archives for an answer to a proceedure for fusing with gold leaf.
Do you need to cap it before you fire? Is there a firing proceedure that you can recommend?

Thanks

Me Kim :)
Brock

Post by Brock »

You don't need to cap it, although you can. The trick to using these foils and leafs is to fire them onto a pre-fired blank. Full fuse temperatures tend to make them burn out, or ablate, especially on the surface.

Now I fire my sushis with the Gold and Silver in between the layers in one firing, then apply the foils on the surface in a separate firing, at about 1385F. Avery worked this out over much experimentation.

If you use leaf the effects can be wispy and vague. The foil is much more expensive, but there is a good reason for that. It is much thicker and much more "there". It also tends to resist burnout much better.

Brock
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

If you want to use leaf, I think it's probably better with a clear cap. It takes three layers of leaf ( and I'm assuming we're talking about real gold leaf) to get a good gold color. One or two layers start to fire off and become faint. It can give a nice effect if used properly.

For the real gold leaf (which comes without adhesive) I usually place three layers, overlapping in such a way that you can see a gradiation between one layer, two layers, and three layers. You get a wispy appearance with one or two layers, and a very gold appearance with three. I'm firing Bullseye to 1490 degrees and holding 10-15 min for this effect. It works the same with silver leaf. I usually use a light application of mineral oil on the glass to keep things in place, but this is not necessary if the leaf stays where you want it to.

Here is an example of it's use: http://www.clearwaterglass.com/TempuraL ... Detail.htm

also, http://www.clearwaterglass.com/african_ruby.htm
Steve
PaulS

Re: gold leaf question

Post by PaulS »

twinkler2 wrote:Hi gang of glass

I've been checking out the archives for an answer to a proceedure for fusing with gold leaf.
Do you need to cap it before you fire? Is there a firing proceedure that you can recommend?

Thanks

Me Kim :)
Did you find what you were looking for in the archives? There should be quite a lot, I recognise the topic.

Me, I cap with clear;

Using a regular schedule for the thickness of layers. I found there was no need to allow for air that might be trapped between the layers, because the leaf is so thin.

I use twenty-three and three-quarter carat gold leaf, as pure as I can get. Different gold has a different hue; French is a lemony-yellow, English is a warmer red.

To find your gold leaf, contact your local signmaker and if he doesn't know where to source it, he will have a trade magazine showing someone who does, or you can try http://www.signcraft.com

There are some examples of blown glass made by Roman artisans, they made a cup, rolled gold leaf onto that, then put another layer on the outside.

I'm sure it was in the Ashmolean museum at Oxford and the Victoria & Albert museum in London where had the pleasure to admire it.

I believe the technique was revived in Germany in the 15th - 17th centuries, they called it zwischen-glas, or sandwich glass. Also that was where Schott started off, but I'm sure someone with a better memory will correct me...?

Sometimes the glass was cooled after the first step and the gold leaf layer was decorated with ornament before adding the outer 'sandwich' layer.

Let us know how you get on okay.

Wispy is a good word, Steve. I like that description.

Sorry to ramble but that's all I can say about that.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Bethany

Post by Bethany »

Gold Leaf - flame workers use gold, silver and copper leaf and foil quite a bit. We often encase (cover it with a transparent) but sometimes it is just burnished into the surface of the design.

One good source for leaf that I know of if you are willing to buy in bulk is
http://www.currys.com (The prices are Canadian).

hth
-Bethany
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i have had good results buying from sepp leaf products. rosanna
Steve Immerman

Re: gold leaf question

Post by Steve Immerman »

Paul Stevenson wrote: Wispy is a good word, Steve. I like that description.
Thanks. Actually, I didn't even realize I used that word until you pointed it out. I looked the word up at dictionary.com and came up with this definition:

1. A small bunch or bundle, as of straw, hair, or grass.
2. a. One that is thin, frail, or slight.
b. A thin or faint streak or fragment, as of smoke or clouds.
3. A fleeting trace or indication; a hint: a wisp of a smile.
4. A flock of birds, especially snipe. See Synonyms at flock1.
5. See ignis fatuus.

I think I meant a "fleeting trace or indication: a hint." or maybe " a thin or faint streak or fragment".

I'm sure I didn't mean a flock of snipe, and I don't think I meant ignus fatuus :shock: ..........

Steve
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Yes wispy is the word, Steve.

Will O' the wisp is a good description too; someone even has their website called http://ignus.fatuus.com/

I like the subtlety and diaphonous-ness of gold leaf, the way it looks like the skeleton of a tree-grown leaf.

As I am just a tint, just one of the multiplicity of the species.

The memory of the spirit lingers long afterwards.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

First attempt.....
didn't work :)

I had some craft gold leaf that I found laying around from other art that I have done over the years, so I thought I would give it a try. Not good to run tests at this point...way too much Holiday stuff to get finished.

Thanks for all your help and support. You all are great givers of information

Thanks- Me Kim

I'll call the sign guy after the Holiday's for a higher quality gold
Ho ! Ho ! Ho !
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

the craft gold leaf is usually gold-colored but not real gold.
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

I bought some from misterart.com. The trick I found was to use mineral oil to apply it not glue. It's 23K. Multiple sheets of gold leaf also help.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Barbara Muth wrote:the craft gold leaf is usually gold-colored but not real gold.
Barbara
Yeah. I got some at Michaels once... it turned a very cool blue... & wispy!
barbara
Barbara Bader
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

The craft gold leaf is a brass alloy composition which is why they call it composition leaf. If adhered to the outside of something and then dabbed with bleach and let dry you will get a green patina. FYI
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Diane, you always come up with the most interesting things to do!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS