How much ridgidizer?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrea

How much ridgidizer?

Post by Andrea »

I have been trying to make a few barrette molds using 1/4 inch fiber blanket and the alumina ridgidizer. I painted the ridgidizer on with a brush, both sides, allowed to dry and then burned off the binder. They were somewhat stiff but when I put the barrettes on and tried to slump they broke in the middle. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

This may not help with your question, I don't know anything about rigidizers, I'm quite new at this, but I made my barrette molds from Ceramaguard. I cut the shape of the barrettes that I get and stack them together, so I can slump one or many at the same time depending how many forms I stack horizontally. The best part is they never need kiln wash.
There might be a slight line on the underneath side of the slumped barrette, but that gets covered up by the clip anyway.
Peg

Post by Peg »

When I use fibreboard I soak it in rigidiser to make a mould - the fiber is saturated with the liquid (and becomes soft and fragile till it's fired).
Maybe that's overkill, but it seems to work fine.

Peg
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

Maybe I just chose the easy way out but i bought a large(wide) barrette mold and can fit 4 to 5 on it at a time . It's good to fill in those corner spaces too when I have my large molds in the kiln
jeri