Granite Irid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fun5oh

Granite Irid

Post by fun5oh »

What side of the glass is the irid coating on spectrum granite clear?

Thanks,
Robin :)
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

the rough side

tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Thanks Tony!
So then if I want to save the irid coating ( regular spectrum ) I should fire with the textured side facing my kiln shelf? How does this affect the texture at full fuse?

Robin :)
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

The texture will be gone, replaced with the texture of whatever you're firing on.
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

Tony Smith wrote:the rough side

tony
Are you sure about that Tony? All the granite and textured glass I have has the irrid coating on the smooth side. I think at least some of it is Spectrum, but I can't swear to it at this point.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Mark Kemp wrote:

tony
Are you sure about that Tony? All the granite and textured glass I have has the irrid coating on the smooth side. I think at least some of it is Spectrum, but I can't swear to it at this point.
yep, What Tony said.
jim
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Mark Kemp wrote:

tony
I'll have to dig some out to double-check, but the coarse surface is facing up coming through the lehr, so that's the only side that can get sprayed.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lou_Ohio

Post by Lou_Ohio »

I use this glass alot ... irid surface on the smooth side .
Will lose the texture on all glass at fusing tempertures .
Will usually lose the Irid surface at fusing temperture on Spectrum Glass.
Try System 96 or Bullseye to keep Irid surface).
Lou
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lou_Ohio wrote:I use this glass alot ... irid surface on the smooth side .
Will lose the texture on all glass at fusing tempertures .
Will usually lose the Irid surface at fusing temperture on Spectrum Glass.
Try System 96 or Bullseye to keep Irid surface).
Lou
The word from Spectrum is that I was mistaken and that you are correct. The regular Spectrum granite, and all their textures for that matter, are iridized on the smooth side. I think my confusion came from the Black System 96 granite being iridized on the rough side and the clear System 96 granite from CBS having the dichroic coating on the rough side. I'm not sure about the clear System 96 granite, but will let you know.

TOny
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Just an FYI...

And what might confuse the matters worse in the future is that right now most (if not all) of the SYSTEM 96 Irrid glass is actually mfg by Urboros.

However....Spectrum just announced earlier this month that they are now manufacturing their own Hi-Fire Iridecent (starting with a black and clear standard and hopefully adding it to the full S96 color line). Will be interesting to see the pricing on the Spectrum offering as the Urboros....while wonderful glass, is a bit out of line pricing wise with the rest of the System 96 line (at retail cost anyway).

==================
System 96 Hi-Fire Iridescents

Hi-Fire Iridescents with the Spectrum super smooth surface and unsurpassed cutability. We've achieved a satin-like gleam that is as beautiful before firing as it is after. Fire it Irid-side up, Irid-side down - or in between layers. Fire it over and over again. Or, don't fire it at all! The Hi-Fire Irid is a softer look -- very appealing for stained glass work too! We think it's the best Irid ever.

I/100SFS Hi-Fire Iridescent Clear

I/1009SF Hi-Fire Iridescent Black
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Just an FYI...

And what might confuse the matters worse in the future is that right now most (if not all) of the SYSTEM 96 Irrid glass is actually mfg by Urboros.

However....Spectrum just announced earlier this month that they are now manufacturing their own Hi-Fire Iridecent (starting with a black and clear standard and hopefully adding it to the full S96 color line). Will be interesting to see the pricing on the Spectrum offering as the Urboros....while wonderful glass, is a bit out of line pricing wise with the rest of the System 96 line (at retail cost anyway).

==================
System 96 Hi-Fire Iridescents

Hi-Fire Iridescents with the Spectrum super smooth surface and unsurpassed cutability. We've achieved a satin-like gleam that is as beautiful before firing as it is after. Fire it Irid-side up, Irid-side down - or in between layers. Fire it over and over again. Or, don't fire it at all! The Hi-Fire Irid is a softer look -- very appealing for stained glass work too! We think it's the best Irid ever.

I/100SFS Hi-Fire Iridescent Clear

I/1009SF Hi-Fire Iridescent Black
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Yeah, actually that was the confusion. Uroboros puts their irid on the rough side, so the System 96 granite, both black and clear, have irid on the rough side (just confirmed by Kat).

Spectrum puts their irid on the smooth side, and the new System 96 glasses should have irid on the smooth side as well.

Tony
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I bought a few sheets of the new Hi fire Spectrum irid last week. I hav'nt used it yet but it looks promising. Price was less than the Uro irid.
"The Glassman"