vermiculite board as dams

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cheryl

vermiculite board as dams

Post by Cheryl »

Since the now-famous V board can be used to build casting boxes, is there any (good) reason not to use them as dams? It's hard for me to find mullite shelves that are rectangular or square and long enough (20 plus inches) locally to make dams, anyway. I'd use them with fiberpaper assuming they can't be kiln-washed.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

They work fine for dams.
judith

Post by judith »

although two points might be considered:

1. How long will they hold up - how many firings can one expect?

2. They will not have as much weight (therefore strenght to hold position) as mullite so you will probably need to add some weight in the form of kiln bricks or something similar.

judith
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

judith wrote:although two points might be considered:

1. How long will they hold up - how many firings can one expect?

2. They will not have as much weight (therefore strenght to hold position) as mullite so you will probably need to add some weight in the form of kiln bricks or something similar.

judith
Considering that the boards can also be used as shelves, you can screw down the dams.

I am considering reflooring my kiln with a layer of board that can have sides for screeding my sand layer flat.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cheryl

screeding

Post by Cheryl »

that's such a great word, and idea. I was reading Halem's Glass Notes last pm and thinking of you. There are really some gems in that book! By the way, what ever became of Boyce Lundstrom?
charlie

Re: vermiculite board as dams

Post by charlie »

Cheryl wrote:Since the now-famous V board can be used to build casting boxes, is there any (good) reason not to use them as dams? It's hard for me to find mullite shelves that are rectangular or square and long enough (20 plus inches) locally to make dams, anyway. I'd use them with fiberpaper assuming they can't be kiln-washed.
i use cut up 18-20" porcelain floor tiles for dams. they're cheap, or even free, if you get broken or chipped ones from tiling stores.
Paul Tarlow

Re: vermiculite board as dams

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Cheryl wrote:Since the now-famous V board can be used to build casting boxes, is there any (good) reason not to use them as dams? It's hard for me to find mullite shelves that are rectangular or square and long enough (20 plus inches) locally to make dams, anyway. I'd use them with fiberpaper assuming they can't be kiln-washed.
Ceramaguard strips make great damns and, as best as I can tell, last just about forever if you treat them gently. You can cut it square with a table saw -- just don't do it inside -- it is inconievable dusty.

They do require kiln furniture/bricks for support.

- Paul
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Ceramaguard strips make great damns and, as best as I can tell, last just about forever if you treat them gently. You can cut it square with a table saw -- just don't do it inside -- it is inconievable dusty.

- Paul
Paul, do you use kilnwash on them or paper between? I've got a couple molds I cut for slumping but they don't get that hot.... :?:
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Becca wrote:
Ceramaguard strips make great dams and, as best as I can tell, last just about forever if you treat them gently. You can cut it square with a table saw -- just don't do it inside -- it is inconievable dusty.

- Paul
Paul, do you use kilnwash on them or paper between? I've got a couple molds I cut for slumping but they don't get that hot.... :?:
For dams I use fiber paper. For drop rings I use kiln wash.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Cheryl-Last I heard Boyce was in California making tiles, and Camp Colton, my alma matar of sorts, is now available for weddings and retreats.