Borax where can you find it.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

Borax where can you find it.

Post by tom suter »

I looked high. I look low but I just cant seem to find it anywhere. I have checked a couple of hardware stores a couple of grocery stores and wally world. Is there some chain store that some of you have bought it at. Thanks Tom
Colin & Helen

Re: Borax where can you find it.

Post by Colin & Helen »

tom suter wrote:I looked high. I look low but I just cant seem to find it anywhere. I have checked a couple of hardware stores a couple of grocery stores and wally world. Is there some chain store that some of you have bought it at. Thanks Tom
If you were in Oz I would send you some..try the cleaning section in your supermarket. you may find it may sold for ant control ..

Did you know borax occurs naturally as a precipitate from lakes in California, and potters use it as source of boric oxide and soda in low melt point glazes. Colin
Last edited by Colin & Helen on Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Post by richard »

try your local super market ... look in the soap section for '20 mule team borax' ... the last time i bought some i had to ask a stocker at the store for help, - he knew right where it was ... according to my druggest '20 mule team borax' is 100% borax ... a 4# 12 oz. box cost $3.49 ... that's much more than you will probably need, however, it is great for a number of household uses ...

-richard
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

Try your local pottery supply. If not local try online suppliers. Very cheap that way.
Tim
Dakota

Post by Dakota »

Check all of your grocery stores. In our little town, the Kroger's on the north side of town carries it, but the Kroger's on the south side of town does not!
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

hi!
when you're checking in the laundry area at the grocery, try looking in the "additives" area as well as the "detergents" stuff; at ours it also is not in the most convenient shelves (middle), it's either on the top or on the bottom. good luck,
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
bex

Post by bex »

what do you use it for??

my old man use to say borax as a swear word....
one of his more acceptable ones heehee