How To --Woven look bowl??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Candy Kahn

How To --Woven look bowl??

Post by Candy Kahn »

Happy New Year to All,
I want to try to make one of those items that looks as though it is woven with glass threads. I bought stringer from Bullseye and was hoping someone would be so kind as to let me know how to go about this. I assume a tack fuse and then slump. Anything special to be aware of? Stringer is too expensive to waste!! Thanks in advance.

Candy in Southern Oregon
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Candy, I made a bowl with woven strips of 3mm x 8mm.

The ones that went across the way were slumped on a fibreboard with steps cut in it. I have to take a picture for you.

When they were the right shape (it took a few experiments!), the other strips were 'woven' in between.

That arrangement was then slumped together.

Then capped with a sheet of clear and a border to add solidness at the border.

Maybe pre-slumping the stringer would help you weave them?
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
jim simmons

Re: How To --Woven look bowl??

Post by jim simmons »

Candy Kahn wrote:Happy New Year to All,
I want to try to make one of those items that looks as though it is woven with glass threads. I bought stringer from Bullseye and was hoping someone would be so kind as to let me know how to go about this. I assume a tack fuse and then slump. Anything special to be aware of? Stringer is too expensive to waste!! Thanks in advance.

Candy in Southern Oregon
Hi Candy, I think that this is what you are looking for. Here is a pic of the setup befire firing the first time.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image6/ ... YeP_ph.jpg

This is laid out on a piece of clear. You must have at least 2 layers of stringer, and preferably 3 or 4. especially if you do not want the solid clear on the bottom.

Just layout side by side and tack fuse.
Then put on a floural former and slump.

Email me if you have any :?:

Jim
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Jim, please change your settings on webshots.com to allow others to see this picture.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

It works now from email and board post.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Chaeli Sullivan

Post by Chaeli Sullivan »

Tried Jim's link
Received access not allowed screen.
Chae
vblue

Post by vblue »

Here is one Jim posted on another board.....Hope its what you wanted to see. (you may have to do a "copy/paste" if the link doesn't work.)

http://www.siliconfolly.com/cgi-bin/for ... ?read=1110

Vernelle
Chaeli Sullivan

Post by Chaeli Sullivan »

Thanks for the link, Vernelle
Appreciate it.
Chae
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks Vernelle. I'm honored that you remembered and were able to find my post.

Candy, these are easy but tedious to make. I mark out the shape on the shelf and lay out the first layer. Tilt the shelf slightly and they will roll/stay together. I then pour on a generous stripe of Klyrfire and let it dry.

Turn the shelf 90* and repeat the process.

It is very annoying to have the ends roll away so I often put a little dam in place. The stringers also have a nasty habit of jumping out of place as they are heated up.

Take the assembly to a firm tack fuse. Too light and they won't stick together well enough for the slump/drape. Too hot and they will flatten out.

Here is a nice dish along the same lines. It is made following the same procedure as above but a circle is put on top before fusing. The circle has the benefit of keeping them flat.

Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try again.

The Hobbyist................................Jim
vblue

Post by vblue »

I had seen Jim Wolverton's bowl but didn't have the nerve to do it in stringers. So I did a variation in 1/4" strips of glass. Did it on a drop ring mold without posts. Did two for Christmas presents. Now I think I have the patience to try one in stringers. :D

Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Okay - this is a rant and a vent! Sometimes, I get so frustrated with this business we're in!

Last night my husband & I made a quick stop at our local discounter to buy a few basic necessities: TP, paper towels, cat litter and deo. Of course the pricing structure at this store is so-o-o low because this is a large chain that has most of their products produced in factories outside the USA.

Nope, we're not immune to wanting a bargain when we shop for our consumables. It just doesn't make sense to pay top dollar for the same thing at the other shopping outlets. Not when I have to place another order for that high priced dichro that my customers luv - LOL!

While in this discount store I happened upon square 9" woven glass plates made exactly like the ones described and shown above. Made in China. The quality isn't bad, the pieces are consistant. The only difference is these are made from float - clear bases with colored float strips laid up. This particular store stocks the plates in green and blue colors.

The killer in this equation is that each of these 9" plates cost $3 each. Now how can any of us compete with this "pennies to make" mass production pricing?

Here's what frustrates me about this situation:

While I was standing there looking at these plates, a woman walked by, saw what I was holding in my hand. She stopped, took another plate from the shelf and told me how much she liked the looks of this cool glass plate. When she turned it over and saw it cost only $3, she was elated. It was the buy of the evening for her!!!

........and this woman seemed smart, was well dressed and probably has a higher education.

At the end of a long month of Christmas season store keeper hours and getting holiday gift orders out the door on time, I just didn't have the energy to engage this woman in a conversation about the difference in imported glassware and individually handmade.

Is there a difference anymore? This is becoming a tough question to answer when the quality of the import work has in many cases become so good.

The differences I can make? Yes, I can boycott the store, but we all know this won't change the money making strategies of the CEO's of these chain stores. I also can take valuable time out of my work day to go out and educate the public about the difference in mass produced versus indiviually made. But realistically who has the time to do this when they're trying to make a living from the sale of their artwork?

ARGH....................! Some days it seems like an uphill struggle, folks!

Especially when I see members of our warmglass community who are carefully making these "one of a kind" beautiful little treasures and are willingly share the fruit of their labors here within this group.
Where it does matter!!!

I get so discouraged. How do we make a difference or even a dent in the consciousness of our buying public?

What a capper for the holidays. I'm "Bah Hum-bug" at this point - time for a rest.................!
Marty

Post by Marty »

There is no difference, they can make it much cheaper than you can.

Make something they can't.

How about the rest of the stuff? Look at the labels on the clothes you buy, the computer you're using. Are you willing to pay a premium for the same thing made here (USA) by your peers earning a decent wage?
Brock

Post by Brock »

And if it's not China, it'll be Indonesia, or Brazil, or Taiwan.
Marty hit the nail on the head. Make something they can't.

And frankly, why anyone would want to go to all the time, trouble, and expense, to learn fusing techniques, and amass all the equipment, to then make the lowest common denominator fused object is beyond me.

Make something unique. Make something special. Brock
Candy Kahn

thank you

Post by Candy Kahn »

Hi Jim,
That is what I wanted to see and appreciate your taking the time to share the process with me. It is as I thought but wanted confirmation.

Candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass