MK-100 vs. MK-101 vs. MK-101 Pro

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

MK-100 vs. MK-101 vs. MK-101 Pro

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Anyone know what the difference is between these saws? I went to the MK site but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Paul
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The 100 and 101 both have 1½ HP motors. The 100 has a GE motor and the 101 has a Baldor motor (I believe). The 101 Pro has a 2 HP motor.

The other difference (which I think is significant) is that the 101 has a shielded guide bearing on the left side which is protected from water and particulates.

MK 100 bearing

MK 101 Bearing

Other than that they are virtually identical.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Paul:

When I was comparing the MK's last year - I discovered QEP saws. For the price, hp and other features, I ended up buying a QEP with 2-1/2 hp. The price difference was substantial (savings of hundreds) and a heavy duty stand was included with the QEP. I love my QEP.

Here's the site if you are interested in taking a peek:
http://www.qep.com/index.cfm

Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

RobinE wrote:Hi Paul:

When I was comparing the MK's last year - I discovered QEP saws. For the price, hp and other features, I ended up buying a QEP with 2-1/2 hp. The price difference was substantial (savings of hundreds) and a heavy duty stand was included with the QEP. I love my QEP.

Here's the site if you are interested in taking a peek:
http://www.qep.com/index.cfm

Robin
Thanks Robin.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with QEP. I originally was going to buy the Chicago 2.5 hp through Harbor Freight (about 1/2 the cost of the MK) -- until I saw some posts on this board from folks who were less than thrilled with it.

Anyone have experience with both the QEP and the MK? Comparisons?

Thanks,
Paul
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Paul:

I've rented MK's for various classes I teach out-of-state. So, I've used both brands. I think MK's work well.

And for all the features, etc I got with my QEP, I find it a better value.

Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I've rented MK's for various classes I teach out-of-state. So, I've used both brands. I think MK's work well.

Robin
Cool - thanks a bunch Robin!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Robin
I have the same saw Robin, about $400.00 CDN cheaper than the MK. Performance is identical. BTW, I think it is made in China! Brock
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Brock wrote:

Robin
I have the same saw Robin, about $400.00 CDN cheaper than the MK. Performance is identical. BTW, I think it is made in China! Brock
Brock/Robin -

QEP has two simillar 10" 2.5hp cutters - a "TRIM LINE DUAL-SPEED WET SAW" and a "MULTI-SPEED WET SAW" -- which are you guys using?

Also - QEP advertises a 14" cutting length maximum -- vs. the MK-100 which claims a 20" capacity.

Thanks,
Paul
Chip

Post by Chip »

If you aren't a really heavy user, I bought the 7" wet saw from Home Depot for $88.00. It's slow and sloppy, but I did 400 sq. ft. of tiling with it in 3 days, and it still is going strong. I've cut tile, ceramic, brick, glass and stainless steel rod with it.

I must emphasize though that it is NOT a heavy duty, every day, high production model saw.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Cheryl

cutting length

Post by Cheryl »

Paul, I find that no saw really is big enough re: cutting length/width. Basically if you have less cutting leeway you just end up doing multiple cuts. At some point you run into the motor mechanism (on the left) or the motor mount (at rear).

I have an old MK101 that's been rehabbed. I try to lube it about 1x a month and keep it fairly clean, but it's pretty beat up. I love it. I save up my saw work and do it in huge batches of several hours. I have to watch the water delivery to the blade - I actually rigged up an auxillary water supply as I found the amt. of water on the blade to be directly proportional to the quality of the cut. (How's that for tech talk?!)

Hope you're well & happy in Texas :)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brock/Robin -

QEP has two simillar 10" 2.5hp cutters - a "TRIM LINE DUAL-SPEED WET SAW" and a "MULTI-SPEED WET SAW" -- which are you guys using?

Also - QEP advertises a 14" cutting length maximum -- vs. the MK-100 which claims a 20" capacity.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I don't know which one I have, it doesn't sound like either one you quoted, mine just has one speed, full on. I haven't measured the platform reach, but it's very close, or identical, to the MK, whatever that is.

BTW, I have cut many 20" shelves up, on an MK, and there's no way that you can just feed the shelf through, you have to hold it up at an angle and cut precariously like that until you have moved the shelf far enough through the blade that you can drop the shelf to the platform. I'd be a little leery of that purported 20" cutting length. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I have a QEP as well. I think the longest I've cut without turning the piece around is 19" I have model 60010 and it has a 2hp motor. I have cut shelves, glass, granite, jasper with it and it worked just fine.

I am very happy with it.

Amy
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Hi Paul:

Here's what it says on my QEP: Model TY1000A (6010) 2-1/2 hp, 20 amp, 120 volt. It has one speed which works great for everything I cut (granite, marble, thick glass, travertine, concrete blocks, porcelain tile and so on).

I have cut many 18" tiles (my main $$ living has come from mosaics of all sorts for the past many moons) with no problem on my QEP. When a cut is going to be too long - the piece will hit the motor or motor mount as I am cutting - I mark the fence on both sides at precise locations so I can flip the piece and continue cutting to join the cut.

I agree totally with Brock about watching for the 20" cut claim. How much $$ is the MK that claims the 20" cut?

Two important things to a good cut - plenty of water aimed directly on the diamond blade/cut area AND not being in a race with yourself to get the cut done - let the blade and the machine do the work - be the tortoise here.

Anyhow - MK or QEP are good machines.

Brock - I think the motor is from Taiwan - and other components are probably from China as you suggested.

Happy New Years
Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

On most of the QEP saws including mine which is a 2 1/2 hp not a 1 hp as previously mentioned. You can increase the cutting speed by removing the belt guard. There is two pulleys in the housing. That is how they say it is two speeds, you just can't change that speed very quickly. Loosen the motor to give you some slack and adjust the belt. I've had my QEP for about 4 years and the bearing on the drie shaft are definitely shot. You need hearing protection even when your not cutting anything. I'd still give this saw a good recomendation because we use this tool daily cutting 3/4" float glass and 1" thick granite. It has more than payed for its self.
Rick Wilton
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . You can increase the cutting speed by removing the belt guard. There is two pulleys in the housing. That is how they say it is two speeds, you just can't change that speed very quickly. Loosen the motor to give you some slack and adjust the belt. . .

Ah! Good to know, I'll check it out tomorrow. Brock
Chip

Post by Chip »

Amazon.com/Tool Crib has the MK on sale this week.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Chip Elliott wrote:Amazon.com/Tool Crib has the MK on sale this week.
Thanks Chip. Amazon is $879 for the MK-101 -- without a stand I think. There are lots of places with better prices. Once I figure out who has the best deal I'll post here.

- Paul
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Thanks Chip. Amazon is $879 for the MK-101 -- without a stand I think. There are lots of places with better prices. Once I figure out who has the best deal I'll post here.

- Paul
Paul,

Try Tools Direct at http://www.toolsdir.com/shopping/featured.asp?id=2125 and My ToolStore at http://www.mytoolstore.com/mk/101.html

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

Paul:

Here's a good place to look also:
http://constructioncomplete.com/

The QEP 60010 is $460 : http://constructioncomplete.com/Tile-Sa ... 60010.html

Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
Paul Tarlow

another tile saw question

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Curious if anyone has used this style of saw:

How does it compare with the "moving table" style of the MK and QEP saws discussed above.

After a couple days using the MK-101 the idea of the saw moving instead of the table has some appeal.

- Paul